Chinese dissident Tang Yuanjun (唐元雋) departed for New York on Friday after the US agreed to offer him political asylum, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday.
"The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) has agreed to grant him political asylum," said MOFA spokeswoman Katharine Chang (張小月).
Tang, a 45-year-old automobile technician, told authorities that he paid a fishing boat to bring him close to Tatan islet off Kinmen before swimming to the islet on the morning of Oct. 15.
Tang immediately surrendered to soldiers on Tatan and told them he wanted to defect.
The military sent him to the Kinmen Prosecutors' Office for investigation. He has since been detained at a secret military location.
Tang's request for asylum was complicated by Taiwan's lack of an asylum law despite demands from local human rights groups for the government to handle his request on humanitarian grounds.
Tang's identity as a Tiananmen Square dissident was confirmed by other dissidents who were there, such as Wang Dan (王丹) and Feng Tsung-te (封從德), and from photographic evidence, according to human rights lawyer Lin Feng-jeng (林峰正). Lin, president of the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, visited Tang in October.
Wang and Feng were student leaders of the Chinese democracy movement that was crushed in Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989.
Records show that Tang was in prison for 12 years for his involvement in the 1989 student demonstrations. After being released, Tang was thrown back in jail for organizing the Chinese Democracy Party.
Earlier this month, the Kinmen Prosecutor's Office announced that Tang would not be prosecuted for entering Taiwan illegally, paving the way for his departure for the US after he made it known to authorities he wanted to settle there.
"He will temporarily stay in New York, while Taiwan's overseas representative offices in the US will try their best to assist him in every possible way," Chang said.
"In view of humanitarian concerns and universal values of freedom and human rights, the government, respecting Mr. Tang's wish, has coordinated with various agencies before getting in touch with the AIT," a MOFA press release detailing the situation said.
"The US has given its consent and is willing to help Tang settle in the US," it added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not