US prosecutors on Wednesday announced criminal charges against former Cuban president Raul Castro over the 1996 downing of civilian planes flown by Miami-based exiles as the White House escalated pressure on the nation’s socialist government.
The indictment accuses Castro of ordering the military to shoot down two small planes operated by the exile group Brothers to the Rescue. Castro, who turns 95 next month, was Cuba’s defense minister at the time.
The charges, which were secretly filed by a grand jury last month, included murder and destruction of an airplane. Five Cuban military pilots were also charged.
Photo: EPA
“For nearly 30 years, the families of four murdered Americans have waited for justice,” US Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said in Miami at a ceremony coinciding with Cuban Independence Day to honor those killed. “They were unarmed civilians and were flying humanitarian missions for the rescue and protection of people fleeing oppression across the Florida straits.”
Asked to what lengths US authorities would go to bring Castro to face charges in the US, Blanche said: “There was a warrant issued for his arrest. So we expect that he will show up here, by his own will or by another way.”
Asked what could happen next for Cuba, US President Donald Trump said: “We’re going to see.”
He added that the US is ready to provide humanitarian assistance to a “failing nation.”
The Cuban government said in a statement that the 1996 shootdown was “legitimate self-defense” against an airspace violation.
Cuban authorities called on citizens to protest the “despicable” indictment, with the official newspaper Granma urging Cubans to gather outside the US embassy in Havana today.
Pedro Leal, a 65-year-old retiree, said Washington was hurting ordinary Cubans.
“What the US government is doing here now, aside from the energy blockade preventing us from bringing in fuel, honestly, it’s criminal,” he said.
A four-month US oil blockade, part of a campaign to undermine Cuba’s communist leadership, has brought the nation’s already battered economy to the brink of collapse.
Cubans have been experiencing power outages of up to 20 hours a day and taps running dry.
Runaway inflation has caused the price of basic goods to soar and mountains of trash have piled up on the streets of Havana.
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel condemned the indictment as a political stunt that sought only to “justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba.”
Among those attending Wednesday’s ceremony in downtown Miami was Marlene Alejandre-Triana, whose father, Armando Alejandre Jr, was killed while she was away for her first year of college.
Over the years, she spoke to multiple federal investigators about charging Castro, referring to him as “one of the main architects of the crime,” but none until now had the courage to seek justice for her family and the other victims.
“It has been long overdue,” she said standing before a giant photograph of her father.
Analysts were quick to draw comparisons with Venezuela, where the US government seized on a domestic indictment to justify military action in January that toppled and seized former Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro, a staunch ally of Cuba.
“The idea is to say, we can do to you what we did to Nicolas Maduro,” Chatham House senior fellow for Latin America Christopher Sabatini said.
“The military would certainly defend Cuba” in the event of US military intervention, Sabatini said.
“Whether the people would or not, it’s difficult to say,” he added.
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good