Philippine Secretary of Justice Fredderick Vida yesterday ordered law enforcement to apprehend Philippine Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa who is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC), a day after the Philippine Supreme Court denied his bid to prevent his arrest.
Dela Rosa, a former police chief and lead enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s bloody crackdown on drugs, would be tracked down and anyone helping him evade arrest would “face consequences,” Vida said.
“Senator Bato is a fugitive from justice,” he told a news conference.
Photo: AFP
Vida said that authorities had leads on the whereabouts of Dela Rosa, who is wanted for alleged crimes against humanity, but did not elaborate.
The senator’s lawyers this week said he was in the Philippines.
“We are pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved,” Vida added.
Dela Rosa last week made a dramatic return from six months of hiding and took refuge in the Senate for days before slipping away in the early hours of Thursday last week, after a night of chaos and gunfire that followed his appeal for help and claim that his arrest was imminent.
Dela Rosa denies incitement or involvement in any illegal killings during the “war on drugs” of Duterte’s 2016-2022 presidency, when thousands of users and alleged dealers were killed either in police operations or mysterious slumland shootings.
Duterte, 81, is in detention in The Hague after his arrest last year and is to go on trial on charges of crimes against humanity. He maintains his innocence.
Vida said that the ICC’s warrant for Dela Rosa’s arrest, dated November last year and unsealed early last week, was enforceable despite the senator challenging its legality on the basis of the Philippines’ 2019 withdrawal from the ICC’s founding treaty.
Dela Rosa, a loyalist of the former president’s daughter, Vice President Sara Duterte, maintained his high profile in the Philippines by running for the Senate after leaving the police, where he still has allies.
Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Jose Melencio Nartatez yesterday said the PNP had taken note of the justice department’s directive and would perform its mandate under the law, but stopped short of saying it would arrest Dela Rosa.
“The PNP likewise assures the public that all actions undertaken shall remain impartial, professional and within the bounds of the law, with full respect for the constitutional rights of all parties concerned,” Nartatez said in a statement.
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good