A Jewish community group warned police that a terror attack was “likely” just days before two gunmen killed 15 people in a mass shooting at Australia’s Bondi Beach, an inquiry said yesterday.
Sajid Akram and Naveed Akram, his son, are accused of opening fire as Jewish families thronged Bondi Beach for a Hanukkah celebration in December last year.
Australia’s Jewish community “was the evident target of the attack,” a royal commission tasked with investigating the shooting said in an interim report.
Photo: AFP
The report detailed how, just days before the attack, a Jewish volunteer group had warned police about the threat of violence at Hanukkah celebrations.
“A terrorist attack against the NSW [New South Wales] Jewish community is likely and there is a high level of anti-Semitic vilification,” the Community Security Group wrote in an e-mail released by the inquiry.
The security group said they were told police could not provide dedicated officers for the festival, but would send mobile patrols to “check in and monitor the event.”
Jewish community leader Alex Ryvchin said that organizers were struck by a “general feeling of unrest” ahead of Hanukkah.
“The police are the ones that make decisions around resourcing, and it seems like this was not adequately done,” he told national broadcaster ABC. “We need to understand why those resourcing decisions were made.”
NSW State Premier Chris Minns said he took “responsibility” for failing to protect those who died.
“If we had known what was going to happen, we would have put an army down there,” Minns said.
Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said officers had considered the information provided by the Jewish group.
“There were police present on that occasion, there had been a risk assessment, and there were certainly roving police throughout the area on that evening,” Lanyon said.
The inquiry said that police should consider ramping up security arrangements at Jewish celebrations.
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good