Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) yesterday announced a goal to restore basic living conditions in flood-stricken areas in Hualien County within 14 days.
Heavy rainfall brought by Super Typhoon Ragasa caused a barrier lake in the Mataian River (馬太鞍溪) to burst on Tuesday last week, flooding Guangfu Township (光復).
As of yesterday, the flood had claimed 17 lives, left seven people missing, and scattered mud and debris across a wide area.
Photo coutesy of the Taiwan Medical Association via CNA
Cho yesterday attended a disaster relief briefing at the coordination post set up by the Central Emergency Operations Center at Guangfu Sugar Factory and inspected disaster areas.
Cho expressed gratitude to volunteers pouring into the township from around Taiwan to help with disaster relief, saying that it reflected the importance of national resilience and solidarity.
Cho also expressed gratitude to the county government for executing search and rescue tasks.
Search and rescue efforts would be stepped up to find the seven people that are still unaccounted for, and the red alert would remain in place as long as water remains in the Mataian River barrier lake, he said.
An accommodation subsidy program offers seven days of funding with an additional seven-day extension, Cho said.
The measure is expected to help affected people return to basic living conditions within 14 days, he said, adding that adjustments could be made if more time is needed.
With large numbers of volunteers pouring into the township needing proper care and management, the county government should help identify available space at private residences for them to stay, Cho said.
Comprehensive disinfection must be conducted at temporary waste disposal sites to prevent disease outbreaks, he said.
The state-funded Taiwan Foundation for Disaster Relief has increased the condolence payout for each death from NT$800,000 (US$26,191) to NT$1 million, while people with severe injuries due to the disaster would each receive NT$250,000, Cho said.
The government is also considering relief funds for people whose homes were affected by the flood, he said, adding that the amount could be NT$100,000 per household.
Hopefully, the central and local governments could work together to establish a resilient disaster relief model that integrates the command system, division of labor, supplies delivery, volunteer support, medical assistance and environmental management, he added.
Separately, President William Lai (賴清德) yesterday said he had instructed Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) to dispatch more than 2,500 soldiers to support post-disaster recovery and help affected people get back to their normal lives as soon as possible.
The soldiers would rotate with the same number of personnel tomorrow, with the goal of removing all the mud in disaster areas by the Mid-Autumn Festival on Monday next week, he said.
Lai also expressed thanks to volunteers, and reminded them to ensure their own health and safety before heading to disaster sites to help.
Additional reporting by Chen Yun
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying