The Philippines yesterday called on Beijing to “immediately cease all provocative and dangerous actions” after accusing it of “unjustifiably” deploying flares from China-occupied Subi Reef (Jhubi Reef, 渚碧礁) on Thursday, while a Manila aircraft was conducting patrols.
The same aircraft also “faced harassment” from a Chinese jet fighter while it was conducting a surveillance flight near Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) on Monday, the Philippines’ South China Sea task force said in a statement.
“Such actions undermine regional peace and security, and further erode the image of the PRC [People’s Republic of China] with the international community,” the task force said.
Photo: AP
The Chinese embassy in Manila did not immediately comment about the incidents, which happened the same week Manila and Beijing accused each of ramming vessels and performing dangerous maneuvers in the South China Sea.
They also came less than two weeks after an air incident between the Chinese and Philippines militaries in Scarborough Shoal, even as the two nations have agreed to “restore trust” and “rebuild confidence” to better manage maritime disputes.
The US condemned China for launching flares at the Philippine aircraft, US Ambassador to Manila MaryKay Carlson wrote on X.
“With the Philippines, we call on PRC to cease provocative and dangerous actions that undermine a free and open Indo Pacific region,” she said.
Manila’s aircraft, which belonged to the Philippine Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR), in coordination with the Philippine Coast Guard, was tasked to monitor and intercept poachers encroaching on the nation’s exclusive economic zone.
The Chinese fighter jet, which was not provoked, deployed flares multiple times “at a dangerously close distance” from the BFAR aircraft, the task force said.
“Its actions demonstrated hazardous intent that jeopardized the safety of the personnel onboard the BFAR aircraft,” it added.
China claims sovereignty over nearly the whole South China Sea and has deployed an armada of coast guard vessels to protect what it considers its territory. Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Brunei contest the claims.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats