A Mexican mayor and four police officers were arrested in connection with the murder of 10 people whose bodies were burned, officials said on Monday, in the latest scandal involving the country’s security forces.
The victims were found in a charred pickup truck in the western state of Michoacan on Saturday. Authorities initially believed the vehicle had exploded during a fuel theft.
However, the Michoacan Attorney General Jose Martin Godoy said the mayor of the municipality of Alvaro Obregon and four police officers, including a commander, were arrested over the deaths.
Michoacan Governor Silvano Aureoles had earlier said the town’s police chief, his deputy and an investigator were detained for questioning.
The investigation is “strengthening the hypothesis” of involvement by “municipal officers,” Aureoles told reporters, adding that there were also “some direct accusations” against the mayor.
Police officers in three Alvaro Obregon municipal vehicles detained a group of people on Friday night at a grocery store in the town of Cuitzeo and forced them into a red pickup truck, Godoy said.
Witnesses said the mayor, Juan Carlos Arreygue, had ordered police to detain the group and that he was present when they were arrested, he said.
One of those detained by the officers had “differences of a personal nature” with the mayor, the prosecutor said.
“After the arrests, under instructions from the mayor, the civilians were secured, subdued and forced into a van,” he added, citing unidentified witnesses. “Then, they took the bodies to a field in the municipality of Cuitzeo where they set them on fire.”
The bodies were found in a burned vehicle on a dirt road in Cuitzeo, an area where gangs are known to steal fuel from pipelines.
Prosecutors are continuing the investigation to “determine the level of participation of public servants in this terrible event,” Godoy said.
A court is to determine their legal status.
Mexican police and troops have faced a slew of allegations of human rights abuses since the country’s battle against drug trafficking escalated in 2006 with the deployment of armed forces.
In a case that drew international condemnation, authorities said local police abducted 43 students in the southern state of Guerrero in 2014 and handed them over to a drug cartel that killed them and incinerated their bodies.
The mayor of the city of Iguala, who remains in jail, was accused of ordering police to confront the students.
The deaths in Cuitzeo also put a new spotlight on Michoacan, a state that has been relatively peaceful recently after years of brutal drug violence.
Murders, kidnappings and extortions by the pseudo-religious Knights Templar drug cartel prompted farmers to form vigilante militias in 2013.
The cartel has been largely dismantled and the vigilante forces dissolved, authorities say.
However, hundreds of soldiers were recently deployed as reinforcements in a sign that the state remains a concern.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told