An Associated Press (AP) reporter mistook an impersonator of actor Christopher Walken on a sports-talk radio program on Friday for Walken himself, leading the news cooperative to include comments mistakenly attributed to the actor in its coverage of the Natalie Wood death investigation.
The AP corrected the story about an hour later and told its members not to use the incorrect information.
The radio station, -Washington-based ESPN 980, said that the Walken impersonator appears weekly to discuss sports-related topics for a humorous segment. Walken has a distinctive, staccato style of speaking.
Walken was sharing a yacht with Wood and her husband, actor Robert Wagner, when the actress drowned on Nov. 29, 1981. The death was ruled an accident. However, this week, authorities in Los Angeles reopened their investigation into Wood’s death based on new information, but said that Wagner was not a suspect.
The Walken impersonator, Marc Sterne, appeared on Friday afternoon on The Sports Fix, an afternoon talk show hosted by Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro.
ESPN 980 program director Chuck Sapienza said on Friday evening that Sterne has made regular Friday appearances impersonating Walken during the past few football seasons. While playing Walken, Sterne gives fantasy football advice and sometimes discusses other topics.
“It’s not set up as real. It’s not like we’re trying to fool anybody,” Sapienza said. “We say it’s the person on the air, but we never believe that someone actually thinks the person’s actually there.”
After the story was published, an AP reporter phoned the station and left a message. A station employee called back to say a Walken impersonator, not the actor, had been on the air.
ESPN 980 is owned by Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.
During Friday’s appearance, Sheehan asked Sterne about the Wood case.
Sterne, impersonating Walken, remarked: “We had a lot to drink that night. There was Sambuca. There was shouting. And then there was tragedy. And that’s all I can remember.”
The Walken impersonator added that he went to bed after reading “one of the Hardy Boys novels” and awoke to learn that Wood was dead.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The