A Canadian judge handed protesters of the G20 summit in Toronto a small victory on Friday, restricting the use of a controversial sound cannon for crowd control.
The Ontario judge said that under current Toronto police guidelines, the so-called Long Range Acoustic Device — a super-high-volume loudspeaker — could cause hearing damage if used at certain levels and distances.
Toronto police said they would comply with an order to amend guidelines governing use of the sound cannon, specifically with regards to distance and volume limitations.
PHOTO: EPA
Police say the cannons, purchased in recent weeks, will be used for communication. The portable loudspeakers are also known as sonic guns because the volume can be turned up so high they can be used as weapons.
“I have concluded that a very real likelihood exists that demonstrators may suffer damage to their hearing from the proposed use of the Alert function at certain distances and volumes,” Justice David Brown of the Ontario Superior Court wrote in his ruling.
Canada is spending about C$1 billion on security for two international summits this week, with much of that going to control thousands of protesters who use the events to drive demands to end global poverty and address climate change.
PHOTO: AFP
On Friday and yesterday, leaders from the G8 industrialized nations were to meet in Huntsville, Ontario, about two hours’ drive north of Toronto. The G20 nations were then to gather in Toronto yesterday and today.
Protests have already begun at both locations but have been mostly peaceful.
Several thousand marched in defense of Aboriginal rights in Toronto on Thursday and more marches were scheduled for Friday near noon.
Earlier this year, police at the Vancouver Olympic games disabled the Alert function on the devices so that they could only be used as loudspeakers.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The