Biologist Tahani Abdul Wahid smiles as she settles into a worn green chair and waits for the Iraqi National Symphony Orchestra to take to the stage.
The audience erupts in applause when the conductor arrives and quickly falls silent as the first notes are struck at the Saturday concert in Baghdad’s green zone — an area fortified by concrete walls against suicide bombers and rocket attacks.
Some had not heard live classical music in years.
“This is the first time I have attended a concert since 2003,” 44-year-old Wahid said. “I used to go to a lot of them before 2003. It feels like I have entered a different atmosphere and a different world.”
Overall violence has dropped in Iraq in the past years, allowing the war-torn country — once regarded as the cultural gem of the Middle East — to witness a slow revival of its arts scene.
Yet, bombings and killings remain a daily occurrence. An election in March, which produced no outright winner, has raised fears of a renewal in fighting.
The Iraqi National Symphony Orchestra (INSO), established in 1948, came close to collapse after the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq, but it survived.
The number of musicians employed by the orchestra has now grown to 90 from 52 in 2005, including the first US female violinist to be part of it on a full-time basis. It hopes to add more as exiled musicians return to Iraq after decades of war.
Accompanied by 13-year-old US guest pianist and composer Llewellyn Kingman Sanchez Werner, the orchestra hopes to embark on a national tour this year — and visit Europe and the US next year.
On Saturday, its performance at the Rasheed Hotel was met with a standing ovation by an audience of about 250 people.
Sixteen-year-old student Tuqa Sa’ad, who plays the cello for the orchestra, is ecstatic at the changes that have taken place since she joined the orchestra in 2006.
“I started playing for the INSO when I was very young. It was very difficult then to the extent that I could not take my musical instrument from the rehearsal venue to my home and vice versa due to bad security,” she said.
“Now things are so normal, I can take my instrument anywhere I want,” she said, while proudly patting her cello.
“I believe I can achieve something and help my country develop, and also support other girls and be an icon for them,” she said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The