The second Moscow suicide bomber may have been a 28-year-old school teacher from the southern province of Dagestan, a Russian newspaper reported, quoting the woman’s father as saying he recognized her in a photograph.
Rasul Magomedov told Novaya Gazeta in a report on Sunday that an acquaintance sent him a photograph of the subway suicide bomber that has been widely circulated on the Internet.
“My wife and I immediately recognized our daughter Maryam,” the newspaper quoted him as saying. “The last time my wife saw our daughter she was wearing the same red scarf as in the photograph.”
Magomedov said his daughter, Maryam Sharilova, disappeared the day before the March 29 bombings that shocked Moscow, though he has no idea how she got to the city from their home in southern Russia.
The attack by two female suicide bombers killed 40 rush-hour commuters and wounded at least 121.
One of the bombers has been identified as the 17-year-old widow of a slain Islamic militant, also from Dagestan, one of several predominantly Muslim provinces in the North Caucasus.
Investigators were still trying to identify the second bomber and track down the organizers of the attack, for which a Chechen militant leader has claimed responsibility.
No officials were available to comment on the Novaya Gazeta report late on Sunday.
The newspaper Kommersant, the first to identify the teenage bomber and publish her photograph, reported on Friday that the second bomber had been tentatively identified as a 20-year-old woman from Chechnya, the widow of another militant leader who had recently been killed by security forces.
Magomedov told Novaya Gazeta that security forces recently told him his daughter was the wife of an Islamic militant, but when he asked his daughter, she told him she would never marry without his consent.
His daughter was a school teacher like both of her parents in their hometown of Balakhani and lived at home, he told the newspaper.
“She was religious, but she never expressed any radical beliefs,” Magomedov was quoted as saying.
The subway suicide bombings were the first such attacks in Moscow since 2004 and refocused attention on the Islamic insurgency that for years has been confined to the North Caucasus.
Dagestan was the site of two suicide bombings on Wednesday that killed 12 people, mostly police officers. Another explosion there on Thursday killed two suspected militants.
On Sunday, two powerful explosions derailed a cargo train, but no one was injured.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The