Russian security services have killed two Islamist rebels behind attacks that have fueled fears of a broadening insurrection in the north Caucasus region, Interfax news agency said.
The agency quoted the Federal Security Service (FSB) as saying Rustam Dzortov and Zaur Uzhakov, shot dead in Ingushetia late on Friday, were behind a June assassination attempt on Ingush President Yunus-Bek Yevkurov and the suicide bombing of a police station that killed 25 people last month.
Moscow has declared victory, perhaps prematurely, in its campaign against separatist rebels in Chechnya.
But shootings and bombings have spread in recent months to the neighboring, largely Muslim regions of Dagestan and Ingushetia on Russia’s southern fringes.
Russian television showed film of the saloon car used by the two men slewed sideways across a narrow road by a railway bridge.
“Dzortov … headed the entire criminal underworld in Ingushetia and was the immediate organizer of the attack on President Yevkurov,” an FSB spokesman told the Russian news agency.
“His accomplice Uzhakhov was directly responsible for the organization of the terrorist attack near the Nazran district police department,” the spokesman said.
Islamist rebels seek to establish an Islamic state on Russia’s southern fringes.
Moscow, which believes the insurgents are backed by militants from the Middle East and south Asia, sees suppression of separatism as essential to the stability of a country that spans 11 time zones and dozens of nationalities.
Yevkurov returned to Ingushetia last month after recuperating in Moscow and has since warned that more suicide bombings are possible.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told