The great-granddaughter of Richard Wagner, Adolf Hitler’s favorite composer, has vowed to investigate her family’s links with the Nazis in a move that could be bitterly opposed by other members of the dynasty.
Katharina Wagner, 31, an opera stage-director, feels she has a duty to do what previous generations have avoided.
“When I was growing up, I was repeatedly confronted with this topic,” she said. “Was my grandmother Hitler’s lover? To what extent was my father embroiled with Hitler? No one in the family ever spoke about it. If my sister and I don’t ask the questions, who then will?”
PHOTO: EPA
Nine months ago, Katharina took over as co-director of the Bayreuth Festival, which started 133 years ago to showcase Wagner’s work. She has introduced several changes with a view to opening up the event to the masses, including podcasts and giant TV screens, but last week’s announcement that she plans to invite a team of researchers to lay bare the show’s Nazi connections is her most controversial move yet.
“There’s a shadow hanging over Bayreuth, and I feel a responsibility to try to get some clarity,” Katharina said.
She said she wanted “independent, renowned historians, and not only those with an affinity to Bayreuth” to carry out their investigations “independently of me and my family.”
Wagner, who took over as festival co-director with her half-sister, Eva Wagner-Pasquier, after a lengthy family feud, said she expected some opposition from members of the clan. However, she said that the private archives of her father Wolfgang would also be open to scrutiny, suggesting he favored her initiative.
Hitler supported the festival long before he became a political force and befriended Winifred Wagner, the British-born wife of the composer’s son Siegfried. This connection allowed the festival to remain largely independent during the Third Reich and after the war led to Winifred’s conviction for supporting the Nazis.
Katharina said that “every nook and cranny” of the festival’s archives needed to be raked through.
She made the announcement a month before she opens the festival with Wagner-Pasquier for the first time since they took over from Wolfgang Wagner, who ran the show for 54 years but was often accused of a lack of innovation.
The leadership battle was one of the longest and fiercest feuds in the world of classical music, with Katharina’s cousin, Nike, also contesting the post.
Katharina’s announcement about the investigation has attracted as much attention in the German press as did her artistic plans for the program on the “Green Hill,” as Bayreuth is affectionately known.
There is some doubt as to whether an investigation will throw any new light on the role of the Nazis and how the Wagner clan courted Hitler, experts said.
Katharina herself said she did not know what to expect and that, “although the topic has been dealt with, it has clearly not been dealt with extensively enough.”
Wolfgang Schreiber, a critic for the Suddeutsche Zeitung, said: “We can hardly expect anything particularly mind-blowing to emerge from this, because Bayreuth’s ideological past is a well ploughed field.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The