A UN envoy on indigenous rights called on Friday for an impartial, internationally supported committee to be set up to investigate bloody clashes between Peruvian police and Amazonian Indian protesters that killed at least 33 people.
The comment by James Anaya came a day after a leader of Peru’s main Indian confederation urged members to end road and river blockades in the Amazon region after Congress revoked two land-use decrees that angered indigenous groups. Indians lifted blockades of several jungle highways on Friday, but anti-government protests continued in several highland cities.
Anaya, the UN special envoy for Indians’ human rights and freedoms, said that during his visit to Peru he had heard what he called “worrisome” testimony from Indian protesters alleging abuses by security forces.
“I am calling for an exhaustive investigation by a special, independent commission so that these allegations can be investigated and taken seriously,” Anaya said.
Peru’s Amazonian Indians have been opposing 11 decrees since last year that they fear would make it easier for private oil, logging and biofuel companies to acquire their traditional lands. The government argued the decrees were needed to bring investment and development to Peru’s impoverished jungle.
Indians started blocking highways, rivers and a state oil pipeline in the Amazon beginning in early April, and violence erupted on June 5 when police broke up one road blockade.
The government says 23 police officers and 10 civilians were killed in the clash, and one policeman was missing. Indian leaders say at least 30 civilians died.
Anaya said Indians who participated in protests are still missing, but added that he could not say how many and that he was not in a position to make conclusions about Indian allegations of more dead civilians.
He called for a committee, with participation from local Indian leaders and an international body like the UN or the International Labor Organization, to establish how the violence broke out and monitor efforts to locate missing Indians.
Many protesters went into hiding after the violence for fear of arrest. Anaya urged Peru’s government to review the charges levied against the president of the main Amazon Indian confederation, Alberto Pizango, and dozens of others as a measure “to create confidence and advance dialogue” with Indian groups.
Pizango left Peru for political asylum in Nicaragua on Wednesday after being charged with sedition and rebellion.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The