A mass grave in Slovenia believed to hold up to 300 victims killed after World War II by the former communist regime has been discovered in the country’s east, authorities said on Wednesday.
“We’ve found the mummified remains of between 200 and 300 people,” Marko Strovs, head of the government’s military graves department, told journalists.
He added the victims appeared to be “killed with gas” since there were no visible signs of wounds from firearms.
Investigators and historians on Tuesday removed concrete walls built after World War II to close off the Huda Jama cave near Lasko, some 90km east of the capital Ljubljana. They then discovered the remains.
The investigation of the Huda Jama cave started last August as part of a long-running probe of more than 500 suspected mass graves throughout Slovenia.
They are believed to contain the remains of pro-Nazi collaborators who sought to escape from the former Yugoslavia’s communist regime in 1945. Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia before becoming independent in 1991.
The identities of the victims in Huda Jama remain unclear. However, accounts from local residents indicate they were pro-Nazi collaborators from Slovenia or Croatia, said the head of the Slovenian Research Center for National Reconciliation, Andreja Valic.
“Current information, based on oral testimony, indicates that the slain people could have been Slovenian or Croatian citizens,” Valic told Slovenian news agency STA.
State prosecutor Barbara Brezigar also visited the site and described seeing the remains as “horrible.”
“It is one of the most shocking things you could see in your life,” Brezigar told journalists.
She said any investigation into the crimes would be difficult since most of those responsible were likely dead.
Judicial forensic Joze Balazic, who took part in the excavation of the mass grave, said at the entrance piles of military shoes were found.
“It seems that they [the victims] had to undress and take off their shoes before they were killed. We did not see any small-size or children’s shoes,” Balazic told reporters, suggesting most of the victims were soldiers.
Most of the bodies were found in a 15m-long and 2.5m-wide underground passage situated some 400m from the entrance to the cave.
He added that there are another two passages in the cave where more bodies could be found, but that these will only be investigated in a month’s time, after the first one discovered on Tuesday is documented and a way through is opened.
Strovs explained the good condition in which the remains were found was because of the fact that the cave had been sealed with several walls of concrete separated by layers of barren soil.
“At the end, we came to a long passage that was all in white. Soon we understood the white mass were the bodies that had been all covered with lime,” Strovs said of the gruesome discovery.
An uncrewed Chinese spacecraft has acquired imagery data covering all of Mars, including visuals of its south pole, after circling the planet more than 1,300 times since early last year, state media reported yesterday. The Tianwen-1 successfully reached the Red Planet in February last year on the country’s inaugural mission there. A robotic rover has since been deployed on the surface as an orbiter surveyed the planet from space. Among the images taken from space were China’s first photographs of the Martian south pole, where almost all of the planet’s water resources are locked. In 2018, an orbiting probe operated by the European
QUARANTINE SHORTENED: A new protocol detailing risk levels and local policy responses would be ‘more scientific and accurate,’ a health agency spokesman said China’s revised COVID-19 guidelines, which cut a quarantine requirement in half for inbound travelers, also create a standardized policy for mass testing and lockdowns when cases of the disease flare, showing that the country still has a zero-tolerance approach to the virus. Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) solidified the position during a trip to Wuhan, where the pathogen first emerged in 2019, saying that China is capable of achieving a “final victory” over the virus. The “zero COVID-19” policy is the most effective and economic approach for the country, Xi said during the trip on Tuesday, Xinhua news agency reported. The first
A former South Korean Navy SEAL turned YouTuber who risked jail time to leave Seoul and fight for Ukraine said it would have been a “crime” not to use his skills to help. Ken Rhee, a former special warfare officer, signed up at the Ukrainian embassy in Seoul the moment Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy asked for global volunteers and was fighting on the front lines near Kyiv by early March. To get there, he had to break South Korean law — Seoul banned its citizens from traveling to Ukraine, and Rhee, who was injured in a fall while leading a special operations
A flight test of a hypersonic missile system in Hawaii on Wednesday ended in failure due to a problem that occurred after ignition, the US Department of Defense said, delivering a fresh blow to a program that has experienced stumbles. It did not provide details of what took place in the test, but said in an e-mailed statement that “the department remains confident that it is on track to field offensive and defensive hypersonic capabilities on target dates beginning in the early 2020s.” “An anomaly occurred following ignition of the test asset,” Pentagon spokesman US Navy Lieutenant Commander Tim Gorman said in