French and Spanish rescuers on Sunday scrambled to reopen railways, douse forest fires and restore power to nearly a million homes plunged into darkness by a violent storm that killed 24 people in southern Europe.
“The priority today is to re-establish the electricity as quickly as possible,” French President Nicolas Sarkozy said as he visited a town in the southwestern region that bore the brunt of Saturday’s storm.
The majority of the deaths were in Spain, where four children died near Barcelona when the roof and a wall of a sports hall were brought down on their heads by winds that in some places reached more than 180kph.
They were playing baseball outside the center in Sant Boi de Llobregat as the storm — which saw 20m high waves battering the Atlantic coast — gathered force and they ran inside to shelter.
Witnesses said they heard a loud sound, then saw that the roof and part of a wall had crumpled.
The storm was one of the fiercest to hit western Europe in a decade. It blew in eastwards from the Atlantic Ocean, barreling across southwest France and northern Spain — ripping roofs off houses, pulling down power lines and flattening hundreds of thousands of trees.
On Sunday it battered Italy, where a young woman was swept away to her death by a wave as she was walking on a beach near the southern city of Naples.
Rain also triggered a mudslide onto the main highway south of Naples, killing at least three people and injuring four, the Italian news agency ANSA reported citing firefighters.
Firefighters who pulled the dead and injured from the mud did not exclude that other people could be trapped under the landslide, which occurred on the main highway linking Salerno and Reggio di Calabria.
The winds had lost some of their force but were strong enough to destroy a restaurant in Imperia on the Mediterranean coast and to force some Italian ferry operators to cancel their sailings.
In Portugal, police and firefighters rescued 600 people who were stuck on roads blocked by snow and ice, officials said.
Eight people were killed in France, including four who inhaled carbon monoxide from electricity generators they used amid power outages in two separate incidents.
Two drivers were killed by falling trees on Saturday in the Landes department, while flying debris killed a 78-year-old outside his home. A 73-year-old woman died in the Gironde department when a power cut halted her breathing machine.
Twelve people died in total in Spain, including a woman who was crushed by a wall, another who died after a door lifted by the wind slammed into her, and a police sergeant killed by a falling tree as he was directing traffic.
Hundreds of Spanish firefighters — backed up by 14 planes and helicopters — battled three separate forest fires sparked by electricity pylons brought down by the tempest in northeastern Spain.
The fires were under control by Sunday evening, officials said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told