Spain’s National Court on Friday suspended the opening of dozens of mass graves dating from the 1936 to 1939 civil war and General Francisco Franco’s ensuing 36-year dictatorship.
The court accepted a complaint by prosecutors trying to block the orders issued by Baltasar Garzon, a judge at the same court.
Garzon has launched Spain’s first judicial investigation into the fate of Franco opponents killed in acts of repression during the war, which was unleashed by Franco’s uprising against the republican government and the dictatorship.
Garzon ordered the exhumation of bodies from the country’s most controversial monument, the underground basilica and mausoleum known as the Valley of the Fallen.
Eight corpses that lie inside the warren of niches at the mausoleum northwest of Madrid should be exhumed, Garzon said.
The bones of some 40,000 people who died during the Spanish civil war were deposited there after Franco’s favorite monument, topped by a 150m high granite cross, was finished in 1958.
Relatives of the eight men said their corpses had originally been thrown into a well near their home village of Pajares de Adaja, in central Spain, by members of a Francoist death squad in 1936. More than 20 years later their bones were taken to the Valley of the Fallen.
“We are going to recover my father, my uncle and six others who were executed,” said Fausto Canales, 74.
Canales said Franco had “stolen” the bones of his father, Valerico, and his uncle Fidel to ensure that some Republican enemies were buried alongside his supporters at the Valley of the Fallen.
Judge Garzon has ordered the opening of 19 other Franco-era mass graves, though state attorneys on Friday asked for those exhumations to be suspended until a higher court decided whether he had overstepped his powers.
Campaigners said the judge’s order opened the way for the removal of thousands more bodies from a basilica built over 18 years with the help of forced labour battalions of political prisoners.
Most bodies were placed in niches hidden behind the walls. Only Franco himself and the leader of the extreme right-wing Falange party, Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera, have graves inside the basilica.
Hundreds of Franco supporters come here for a special mass every year on the anniversary of his death in 1975.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told