Three women were to be ordained as priests yesterday in one of the US most Catholic cities, but they will face automatic excommunication by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese.
The trio is to be ordained in a ceremony performed by a woman at a Protestant church affiliated to the US Presbyterian Church and the United Church of Christ, in Boston’s first female ordination.
The move has angered the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston, which has sent out an e-mail to local priests reminding them of Vatican law that women are allowed to have key roles within the church, but cannot become priests.
The archdiocese said the three women would be automatically excommunicated. Historically, the Vatican’s position has been that women cannot become priests because Jesus did not have female apostles.
However, the women said they were united in the belief of being called to the priesthood and compelled to resist what they believed to be wrong church teaching.
“We’re part of a prophetic tradition of disobeying unjust law,” said Gabriella Velardi Ward, 61, a New York based architect.
“Excommunication or not, I will still be able to serve the people of God,” she told the Boston Globe.
The two others are Gloria Carpeneto of Maryland and Mary Ann McCarthy Schoettly of New Jersey.
Dana Reynolds of California, a women consecrated as a bishop in Germany earlier this year, will perform the ceremony.
Reynolds and the others are members of the organization Roman Catholic Women priests, holding ordinations for women since 2002. The organization reports 28 women Catholic priests in the US.
The organization claims its ordinations are valid because its first bishops were ordained by Catholic bishops in good standing. The identity of the bishops is kept secret to protect them from being sanctioned by the Vatican.
The Church of the Covenant on Newbury Street in Boston’s Back Bay, led by Reverend Jennifer Wegler-McNelly, offered support by renting its historic edifice with Tiffany windows depicting women of the Bible.
However, the archdiocese was stern in its e-mail warning.
“Catholics who attempt to confer a sacred order on a woman, and the women who attempt to receive a sacred order, are by their own actions separating themselves from the church,” the e-mail said.
Referring to “the loving ministry of Jesus Christ, we pray for those who have willingly fallen away from the church by participating in such activities,” the e-mail said.
The Boston ordination ceremony is scheduled to coincide with the first joint conference of four organizations advocating for the admission of married men and also women into the priesthood. The meeting is expected to draw 200 participants.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told