Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Thursday called on Europeans to strengthen economic cooperation with Russia, but adding that he was powerless to rein in soaring oil prices.
Putin was speaking to journalists in Paris after talks with French Prime Minister Francois Fillon at the start of a two-day visit — his first outside Russia since stepping down as head of state.
The special treatment in the French capital accorded to Putin, who was president for eight years, underscored the view in Paris that he remains a predominant player in Russian affairs.
Replying to questions, Putin — who met French President Nicolas Sarkozy later on Thursday — said concern over human rights abuses in Russia was exaggerated, suggesting that the topic was being exploited to pressure Moscow.
Noting that France takes over the rotating presidency of the EU from July 1, Putin said: “We hope this will enable us to advance negotiations on a strategic partnership.”
EU member states on Monday approved the launch of negotiations with Moscow on a new partnership and cooperation agreement, putting an end to two years of acrimony over the issue.
Putin invited Europeans to invest in Russia, including its energy sector, citing the signature of the French oil giant Total in February of an accord to participate in a major oil project in the Barents Sea.
He said he regretted the amount of emphasis placed on primary materials in EU-Russian trade and urged development of high technology projects in the space, aeronautical and automotive industries.
Fillon, speaking to journalists along with Putin, said France was “open to Russian projects,” but stressed the need for a legal framework to develop such cooperation, a lack which the projected EU-Russian partnership aims to overcome.
“Energy security in Europe depends on calm relations with Russia,” he said, referring to concern in western Europe that Russia might try to exploit its gas and oil supplies to western Europe for political purposes.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told