Pope Benedict XVI praised the courage of a Roman Catholic priest slain by suspected al-Qaeda-linked extremists on a remote southern island, the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines said on Saturday.
The pope was "saddened" over the "brutal and tragic" killing of Reynaldo Roda late on Tuesday in Tawi-Tawi Province, quoting from a letter from Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarciso Bertone.
"Paying tribute to the courage and faithfulness shown by this generous priest in his ministry as head of Notre Dame School, his holiness commends Father Roda's example to priests and people throughout the region, and especially to the young," Bertone said.
Roda, 55, ran Notre Dame High School -- which has about 30 students -- on the island township of Tabawan for the past 10 years, church officials said.
On Tuesday, about 10 gunmen believed to be from the al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group seized Roda from the school and shot him dead when police confronted them, said Joel Goltiao, the regional police chief.
As they fled, the gunmen also seized a teacher, Omar Taup, and a fishermen, who apparently knew some of the gunmen, Goltiao said.
In his letter to Jolo Bishop Angelito Lampon, Bertone said the pope "calls upon the perpetrators to renounce the ways of violence and to play their part in building a just and peaceful society, where all can live together in harmony."
The bishops' group earlier said Roda had received death threats from Abu Sayyaf.
Wainwright Taup, Tawi-Tawi provincial police chief, said witnesses recognized one of the gunmen as a dismissed police officer who had joined Abu Sayyaf.
Police said the navy was helping search for the gunmen, who are believed to be hiding in the Tawi-Tawi area.
Roda will be buried on Wednesday in Datu Odin Sinsuat township, where he spent his years in the seminary.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told