Indian police said yesterday that an explosion that killed six people and injured 32 in a packed cinema hall in northern India constituted a "terrorist" bombing.
Hundreds of people -- mainly poor migrant workers -- were crammed into the theater in the industrial city of Ludhiana in Punjab state to watch Sunday's late-night screening of a new Bollywood comedy.
"It was a bomb blast. It is a terror act. We are trying to find out the exact nature of explosives used," a senior police official said on condition of anonymity.
Police have not named any suspect but a series of blasts across India in recent years have been blamed on Muslim extremists allegedly linked to Pakistan and Bangladesh.
India's 140 million Muslims celebrated Id al-Fitr on Sunday, marking the end of the fasting month of Ramadan and one of the biggest Islamic festivals.
Several of the wounded were fighting for their lives.
"These are multiple injuries ... Most of them are serious injuries," a doctor told NDTV news network.
TV footage showed the floor of the cinema strewn with shards of broken glass and stained with blood.
Shoes and pieces of torn clothing also littered the devastated site.
The Home Ministry in New Delhi said it was still "too early" to draw any conclusions.
Besides Islamic militancy, the Punjab was also the scene of a bloody Sikh insurgency in the 1980s.
Security at bus and railway stations and important buildings across the state was tightened, a Punjab police spokesman said.
The latest blast came after two people were killed and nearly a dozen wounded on Thursday in a bomb blast at one of India's most revered Islamic shrines in the northern state of Rajasthan.
India sounded a nationwide alert after that attack as the country prepares for the main Hindu festival season starting on Sunday with Dussehra, which marks the triumph of good over evil.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The