Protesters vowed on Saturday to maintain a resistance vigil outside a fenced-off Victoria hotel where 26 generals from the NATO military alliance were meeting to discuss the future of the alliance and its strategies to put down the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan.
About 300 protesters marched to the hotel chanting anti-NATO slogans, but there were no signs of violence or tensions that have erupted at other world gatherings involving military and political leaders
"I'm here to say, `no to NATO,' so that Canada can maintain its peaceful reputation," Janet Hawksley said.
The three-day military meeting is taking place in the midst of growing tension over the increasing violence in Afghanistan.
The generals are discussing long-term strategies, but have not yet provided any specifics about their talks.
The Canadian session of the NATO meetings follows statements from Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper that Canada's combat mission in Afghanistan will not be extended beyond 2009 without a national consensus.
The protesters marched to the hotel chanting anti-NATO slogans in an effort to convince Harper to pull out of NATO, an alliance the protesters believe is ineffective.
Despite a heavy police presence, the mood remained peaceful except for the arrest of an elderly naked male cyclist on the front steps of the local legislature.
Protesters say they have a summons for the NATO leaders that says they have been convicted of international war crimes.
Protesters chanted "Bring down the generals" and "stop the NATO war machine."
They also yelled "jump, jump" when a man they believed to be a NATO general stood at his hotel balcony above the protesters.
Since 2002, 70 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have lost their lives in the war in Afghanistan.
Canada has about 2,300 soldiers in the country, mainly operating in Kandahar Province, the former stronghold of the Taliban.
The number of NATO troops has doubled over the past year, but that was largely because several thousand US forces already in Afghanistan were transferred to NATO command.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told