An Italian priest kidnapped by Islamic militants broke down in tears yesterday as he described his six weeks of captivity in the Philippine jungle.
Giancarlo Bossi, freed overnight after days of negotiations with the militants led by a former Islamic rebel, said he was repeatedly forced to march through the jungle at gunpoint as his captors tried to evade the authorities.
The 57-year-old said President Gloria Arroyo had told him in a brief meeting that 14 Philippine marines had been killed while they were searching for him on Basilan Island in the south, which is a stronghold of Muslim rebels.
PHOTO: EPA
"She told me that many people had been working hard for my freedom," he said.
Bossi said his kidnappers had told him that they were members of Abu Sayyaf, an extremist group that the US and Philippine governments say is linked to al-Qaeda.
But police said his captors were members of a breakaway faction of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), a separatist guerrilla group holding peace talks with the Philippine government.
Bossi said his abductors were taking orders from an unnamed person by mobile telephone and were seeking a 50 million peso (US$1.11 million) ransom to raise money to prepare for an unspecified rebel operation.
"I was the means to get a ransom. That's what they told me," he said. "I memorized their faces and said, `If I see any of them around I will go to the police and tell them -- That is one of my kidnappers,'" he said.
Philippine officials insisted no ransom was paid, and Bossi said he did not see any exchange of money.
In Rome, Pope Benedict XVI welcomed the news with "great joy," said Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi.
Bossi was seized on the southern peninsula of Zamboanga after celebrating Sunday mass on June 10. He said he was then forced to board a boat that took him to the Lanao region of Mindanao, where he spent the rest of his time.
"We changed hiding places sometimes, walking up mountains and crossing fields but we never strayed from there," said the priest, who lost around 7kg after being given only salted fish and rice to eat.
"I had a problem with the food," he said. "That's the reason why I [lost] a lot of weight. But never mind, I will have a chance to increase my weight again."
Efforts this month to find Bossi turned violent when the militants ambushed and beheaded marines on southern Basilan Island who were investigating a tip-off that he was being held in the area.
The government believed the attackers were a mix of fighters from Abu Sayyaf and the MILF, which has denied any involvement in the beheadings.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told