Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki condemned a US raid on Saturday in Baghdad's Shiite Sadr City slum -- a politically sensitive district for him -- in which US troops searching for Iranian-linked militants sparked a firefight that left 26 Iraqis dead.
The US military said all those killed in the fighting were gunmen, some of them firing from behind civilian cars. But residents said eight civilians were killed in their homes and angrily accused US troops of firing wildly during the pre-dawn assault.
Sadr City is the Iraqi capital's largest Shiite neighborhood -- home to some 2.5 million people -- making US raids there potentially embarrassing for al-Maliki's Shiite-led government. The district is also the stronghold of the Mehdi Army, a militia loyal to anti-US cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who was once al-Maliki's ally.
"The Iraqi government totally rejects US military operations ... conducted without prior approval from the Iraqi military command," al-Maliki said in a statement concerning the Sadr City raid. "Anyone who breaches the military command orders will face investigation."
Al-Maliki last year banned military operations in Sadr City without his approval after complaints from his Shiite political allies. The ban frustrated US commanders pushing for a crackdown on the Mehdi Army, blamed for sectarian killings.
Al-Maliki later agreed that no area of the capital was off-limits, after US President George W. Bush ordered reinforcements to Iraq as part of the Baghdad security operation.
In Muqdadiyah, 90km north of the capital, police said a suicide bomber blew himself up near a crowd of police recruits on Saturday, killing at least 23 people and wounding 17. The US military also announced the death of a US soldier on Friday, and the wounding of three others, when a sophisticated, armor-piercing bomb hit their combat patrol in southern Baghdad.
US troops have discovered a mass grave with as many as 40 bodies near Fallujah in western Iraq, the US military said on Saturday. Between 35 and 40 bodies -- with gunshot wounds and limbs bound -- were discovered at site, the statement said. US military officials are investigating, it said, without elaborating, and it was unclear who the victims were.
The US military said it conducted two pre-dawn raids in Sadr City, killing 26 "terrorists" who attacked US troops with small arms fire, rocket-propelled grenades and roadside bombs. But Iraqi officials said all the dead were civilians.
An US military spokesman insisted all of those killed were combatants.
"Everyone who got shot was shooting at US troops at the time," said Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Garver. "It was an intense firefight."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told