Streets were deserted and shops closed across the northern Indian state of Punjab after Sikh leaders called for a general strike yesterday in the wake of more than a week of clashes with a quasi-religious sect that have left one person dead, police and religious leaders said.
Thousands of police officers deployed in full force across the Punjab, India's only Sikh-majority state, maintaining an uneasy calm.
The clashes erupted after the leader of the sect, known as Dera Sacha Sauda, dressed up as a 17th century Sikh guru at a public function and posed for newspaper ads in costume -- an act many Sikhs considered blasphemous.
PHOTO: AFP
In the eight days since, Sikh protesters have repeatedly blocked roads, clashed with Dera supporters and marched through the streets of Punjab's cities brandishing traditional swords and daggers, blades that Sikhism dictates all its followers carry.
At least one person has been killed and hundreds injured in the clashes, although details of how the man was slain remain sketchy.
There were no reports of violence yesterday, senior police official R.N. Bhagad said.
The state's top elected official, Parkash Singh Badal, a Sikh, has joined Sikh hard-liners in calling for an apology from Dera leader Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, also a Sikh.
Giani Joginder Singh, a Sikh high priest, has also demanded all Dera branches in the Punjab be shut down.
The Dera sect is a nonprofit spiritual organization that works on social issues across the region and is comprised of people of several religions but led by Sikhs. The group has hundreds of branches, called deras, across the Punjab region. Sikhs make up less than 2 percent of India's 1.1 billion people, the vast majority of whom are Hindus.
Dera spokesman Aditya Insaan said the Dera leader did not mean to cause offense by dressing up as the 10th and final Sikh guru, Gobind Singh, considered a forefather in the religion.
Still, Insaan stopped short of issuing an apology, arguing that Dera leaders have done nothing wrong.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The