Officials in Portugal are concerned that the disappearance of a four-year-old British girl from a hotel in the Algarve will discourage visitors from heading to the country's top tourism center.
The story has dominated front pages and had led newscasts in Britain since Madeleine McCann vanished from a resort in Praia da Luz two weeks ago after her parents left her, and her brother and sister, both aged two, alone while they went to a nearby restaurant. Police continue to search for her.
British visitors account for nearly 40 percent of all overnight stays in the Algarve, a region of sandy beaches and white-washed houses.
Six days after Madeleine went missing on May 3 the government suspended an international ad campaign promoting the Algarve.
The ad campaign is part of a stepped up effort by the authorities to boost the image of the Algarve as more than just a beach destination as it strives to compete with growing competition from cheaper Mediterranean sunshine destinations like Tunisia and Turkey.
Economy Minister Manuel Pinho said at the time that it would be a "sensible move" to delay the ad campaign but he said he did not think the disappearance of the four-year-old would stop tourists from coming to the country.
"Portugal is one of the safest destinations in Europe and that image should remain that way," he said.
Not everyone is as optimistic.
"It can't be good, it has been days and days of the media talking about nothing but this," said the manager of a 40-room hotel in the former fishing village of Quarteira in central Algarve, who said he did not want to be identified so as to not link his establishment to the case.
"People on a holiday want to relax, some people might not feel like the Algarve is a place where they can do that after reading about this," he said.
At stake is a sector that employs 10 percent of all workers in Portugal, a nation of some 10.5 million people, and generates about 8 percent of its GDP.
Police on Tuesday announced that they had identified a 33-year-old British suspect but did not have enough evidence to charge him. Their investigation continues.
Adding to the concerns of tourism officials is the fact that Praia da Luz is located at the more rural -- and quieter -- western end of the Algarve which is especially popular with families.
The case was drawn high profile attention in Britain. Former England soccer captain David Beckham and Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo have made televised appeals for information.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The