A British man being investigated over the disappearance of a four-year-old girl in Portugal said he had been made a scapegoat in the case, which has drawn international attention.
Robert Murat has gone into hiding since he was formally made a suspect over the disappearance of Madeleine "Maddie" McCann and his home was searched.
Portuguese police said however that they did not have enough evidence to arrest him.
He told a British television channel: "This has ruined my life and made my life very difficult for my family here and in Britain."
Murat, who had worked for police during the hunt for the girl and also for Sky television, would not appear on screen.
But Sky quoted him as saying: "The only way I will survive this is if they catch Madeleine's abductor ... I've been made a scapegoat for something I did not do."
Police on Wednesday searched the apartment of a Russian man in Praia da Luz, where the girl went missing. SIC television showed officers carrying away two computers from the apartment in the presence of the man and his parents.
Police did not name him, but media reports identified him as Sergei Malinka. Reports described him as being in his 30s and said he had created the Web site for Murat's real estate agency.
Murat was made a formal suspect late on Tuesday after more than 12 hours of police questioning. An unidentified German woman and a Portuguese man were also questioned but released without being identified as suspects.
Portuguese police did not name Murat, saying only that their formal suspect was a 33-year-old man who had cooperated with the investigation.
Detectives "don't have enough elements that could lead to his arrest," inspector Olegario de Sousa told reporters.
Murat lives with his mother close to the holiday complex where Madeleine disappeared on May 3. She had been left sleeping with her twin siblings while her parents ate in a nearby restaurant.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The