Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has ordered the setting up of a special team to evaluate the country's transport systems following the latest deadly air and sea disasters.
Search and rescue teams were scouring land and sea for a plane with 102 people on board which went missing on Monday while ships were also searching for hundreds of people still missing after a ferry carrying about 600 passengers and crew sank on Friday.
"After learning the condition of our national transport in the past 10 years, he [the president] decided to form a national transportation evaluation team, especially to evaluate Indonesia's maritime and aviation sectors," Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa told reporters late on Wednesday.
PHOTO: AP
The team would report directly to the president.
"`Safety first' should be the basis of evaluating our entire maritime and aviation," Radjasa said, quoting the president.
The president also requested "stricter monitoring and operation of maritime and air transport" especially after recent extreme weather and the prevailing Tropical Cyclone Isobel off Western Australia.
Yudhoyono also said the search for the aircraft and ferry survivors should continue as long as possible.
Indonesia usually searches for seven days after a disaster.
"The president has instructed that the search and rescue for the two incidents continue as long as possible," Radjasa said.
Aircraft and ferry accidents are not uncommon in Indonesia, a vast archipelago nation stretching over 5,000km which is largely dependent on air and sea transport.
Meanwhile, US and Singapore air force planes were yesterday set to join a massive air, land and sea search for the missing Indonesian passenger jet.
The Adam Air Boeing 737-400, with 96 passengers and six crew, vanished from radar screens halfway through a flight from Surabaya, on central Java, to Manado, on the northeast tip of Sulawesi.
The search was now concentrating on the sea off Majene, 40km west of Polewali, as well as areas inland based on coordinates from distress signals from the plane and its last known position.
A Singapore air force plane with 27 personnel landed on Wednesday evening to aid the search.
US air force aircraft were expected Thursday, armed forces commander Djoko Suyanto said.
On the ground, rescue teams have been scouring the forests and hills of West Sulawesi up to the Tana Toraja regency, about 75km northeast of Polewali.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The