An al-Qaeda-linked group posted a Web video purporting to show the bodies of two US soldiers being dragged behind a truck and then set on fire in apparent retaliation for the alleged rape-slaying of a young Iraqi woman by US troops from the same unit.
The Mujahidin Shura Council -- an umbrella organization of insurgent groups, including al-Qaeda in Iraq -- posted a previous video in June that showed the soldiers' mutilated bodies, claiming it had killed them.
It was not clear whether Saturday's video was a continuation of that footage, or why it was released.
The new footage came hours after the posting of another al-Qaeda video, an apparent rerelease of a tape showing the execution of a Turkish hostage by the man purported to be the new leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq.
The images would be the first of Abu Ayyub al-Masri to be released since the group announced that he had succeeded Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed by a US airstrike in Iraq on June 7.
Both videos appeared just as Sunni Arabs in Iraq began Ramadan, the Islamic holy month. US officials have warned that attacks could intensify during Ramadan.
It was impossible to identify the bodies in the second video, but it was believed to show Private Kristian Menchaca, 23, and Private Thomas Tucker, 25, who went missing after being attacked by insurgents on June 16 at a checkpoint south of Baghdad.
The remains of the soldiers were found three days later, and the US military said they had been mutilated.
The video showed masked men dragging the corpses and later setting them on fire.
Below the graphic footage was a subtitle: "The two soldiers belong to the same brigade of the soldier who raped our sister in Mahmoudiya."
The US military has charged four soldiers of the 101st Airborne Division -- Specialist James Barker, Sergeant Paul Cortez, Private Jesse Spielman and Private Bryan Howard -- in the March 12 alleged rape and murder of teenager Abeer Qassim al-Janabi in Mahmoudiya, approximately 30km south of Baghdad.
A fifth suspect, Private Steven Green, was discharged from the army because of a "personality disorder" before the allegations became known.
He has pleaded not guilty to rape and murder charges and is being held in a civilian court in the US.
The two slain soldiers also were from the 101st Airborne Division.
The video of the Turkish hostage first appeared on Aug. 2, 2004.
It shows what has since then become an iconic scene of violence in Iraq -- three masked men standing behind a hostage seated on the ground.
The militant in the middle, identified in the latest Web posting as al-Masri, read a statement in Arabic, followed by the hostage, Murad Yucer from Ankara, who read his own statement, this time in Turkish.
After Yucer finished reading his statement, al-Masri shot him three times in the head.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500
KEEN INTEREST: India is trying to procure medical gear from domestic producers and abroad, and China has emerged as a possible supplier as its factories reopen India is to buy ventilators and masks from China to help it deal with COVID-19, a government official said yesterday, even though some countries in Europe had complained about the quality of the equipment. India has recorded 1,251 cases of the coronavirus, with 32 deaths, but health experts said the country of 1.3 billion people could see a major surge in cases that could overwhelm its weak public health system. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government said that it was trying to procure medical gear, including masks and body coveralls, both from domestic firms and from countries such as South Korea and