The US, Europe and the Gulf states pledged nearly US$1 billion to help Lebanon recover from a crippling war between Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas, doubling the amount sought by an international donors' conference.
Organizers hailed the bigger-than-expected contributions on Thursday as a show of strength for nations seeking to counter the influence of Hezbollah in rebuilding roads, homes and lives after the 34-day war.
But critics warned the amount was a moot point, saying it was impossible to sidestep Hezbollah when delivering aid to southern Lebanon.
"I don't think this will help Lebanon in the long term," said Middle East expert Magnus Norell of the Swedish Defense Research Agency. "There is only one actor in southern Lebanon that can handle aid, and that's Hezbollah."
World donors gathered for the conference in Stockholm pledged US$940 million in early reconstruction aid -- nearly twice the US$500 million target set by organizers. The money was earmarked for rebuilding infrastructure, clearing unexploded Israeli bombs and restoring social services.
In his opening speech, Lebanon's Prime Minister Fuad Saniora told delegates that 15 years of postwar development had been wiped out by "Israel's deadly military machine" in a matter of days.
The direct damage of the conflict was in the "billions of dollars," while the indirect cost including lost tourism and industry revenue would cost billions more, he said.
In related news, donors pledged US$500 million in further aid to the Palestinian Territories yesterday, of which $55 million will go directly to meeting a shortfall in UN funding.
"I would say this is a fantastic result," Swedish Aid Minister Carin Jamtin told delegates at the end of a conference arranged by Sweden, Norway and Spain to help meet a revised UN appeal for further funding of US$170 million for the Palestinians, on top of an original request for US$215 million.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around