A prosecutor's call to investigate a top Turkish general for allegedly creating a secret force to fight Kurdish rebels -- which could undermine the country's bid to join the EU -- has raised fears of new conflict between the government and the country's powerful military.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan sought to calm tensions, telling lawmakers from his party at a weekly meeting on Tuesday that he disapproved of the recent criticisms of the military. The secular military, which has led three coups since 1960 is deeply suspicious of Erdogan's party which has roots in Turkey's Islamic movement and the prime minister has been keen to limit friction with the generals.
"No one will gain anything through efforts to make this country's military appear weak through its esteemed commanders," Erdogan said.
At issue is a prosecutor's demand that a military court investigate whether General Yasar Buyukanit, the head of land forces and the general slated to take over as chief of the military staff in August, set up a secret group to fight autonomy-seeking Kurdish rebels.
Prosecutor Ferhat Sarikaya's call -- which was part of a broader sealed indictment alleging soldiers were behind a November bombing that targeted a rebel supporter -- was leaked to the Turkish media.
Officials at the prosecutors office were not immediately available for comment.
Newspapers reported that the indictment said the bomb attack was part of a plan by security forces to stoke tensions in the overwhelmingly Kurdish southeast and undermine Turkey's bid for EU membership. The EU demands that Turkey grant Kurds greater rights and stabilize the southeast.
Buyukanit denied the allegations and was quoted as telling the Hurriyet newspaper that he is prepared to defend himself in court.
The possibility of a commander of the revered Turkish military having to answer charges in court has raised fears of conflict between the government and the generals.
Buyukanit is considered more of a hardliner than the current chief of staff and some newspapers and politicians have called Sarikaya's indictment an attempt by the government to block Buyukanit from becoming the next chief of staff. Many observers have speculated that Buyukanit would be more likely to clash with the Islamic-rooted governing party.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The