A group of Taiwanese rescue workers were saved yesterday after getting stuck in soft mud while trying to extricate a body from a landslide that entombed a Philippine farming village.
The incident contributed to a decision to suspend search efforts at the scene of last Friday's disaster amid concerns that heavy rains could spark a new landslide and add to the death toll that stands at 122 and is expected to rise to more than 1,000.
Weary troops and volunteers trudged out or were airlifted by helicopter from the unstable 40-hectare mud field that covers Guinsaugon and its elementary school.
PHOTO: AFP
The Taiwanese disaster experts have been trying to find survivors with heat-imaging gear. Instead, they had to literally be pulled out.
"The seven Taiwanese were pulling one body with a rope under heavy rain out of the mud," said US Marines spokesman Captain Burrel Parmer.
"They got stuck in the mud, then they radioed they needed help, they can't get out, they're sinking in the mud," he said.
Parmer said the Marines immediately dispatched CH-46 helicopters that landed near the Taiwanese.
"The choppers started sinking in the mud, so they had to work fast," Parmer said.
"The Taiwanese refused to leave without the body and were dragging it with them," he said.
Six of the Taiwanese and the body were loaded onto the helicopters, which returned later to pick up the last member of the rescue team with a rope.
Rain and low clouds then shut down the air operation, leaving little activity at the site.
With no survivors found since the early hours after a mountainside on Leyte island collapsed, there was increasing talk of calling off rescue efforts.
A group of 33 firefighters from nearby Cebu, who have been digging every day, said they likely would head home today.
Hillsides over the area where the school is believed to be buried could cave in at any time because of the wet conditions, Lieutenant Colonel Raul Farnacio said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told