Three soldiers were arrested on Tuesday in connection with the video of British troops allegedly abusing Iraqis in the northern town of Amara in 2004. The UK Ministry of Defense (MoD) said three individuals who "might be implicated in the allegations had been detained."
The arrests came as Basra provincial council severed all relations with Britain and two of the alleged victims of abuse came forward to identify themselves and demand compensation. Protesters marched on the British consulate in Basra and burned the British flag.
They carried flags and banners reading "No, no to Tony Blair" and "Try the British soldiers involved in this aggression." The council said in a statement: "All governmental offices will cut all kinds of relations with the British forces and they will not cooperate with them until further notice."
Last night the MoD said: "The military police have identified several people in the video and investigations are ongoing to identify all those involved in the alleged incident."
The father of the soldier believed to have recorded the video defended his son and called for troops to be brought out of Iraq.
Corporal Martin Webster of the 1st Battalion the Light Infantry was arrested on Sunday by military police officers after the exposure of the video by the News of the World, a British tabloid.
Jim Webster said he did not know why his son took the footage or indeed if it was his voice talking over the events.
"People don't understand what's going on out there in Basra. Martin is in the firing line -- it's easy for the politicians to throw mud but my son's out there on the ground. The politicians don't have a clue what is going on. I don't think the troops should be out there," he said.
He added: "My son is not a bad boy. He's dug himself into a pit and he's got to find his way back out again -- but we will support him."
In Basra, council official Nadhim al-Jabiri said cooperation with the British consulate there would end. Major General Hassan Suwadi, the city's police chief, said all Iraqi security forces would stop conducting joint patrols with the British military in the province.
He said: "We condemn the abuse of the British forces and demand the British government adopt legal procedures as soon as possible to punish its soldiers who carried out the abuse."
At a press conference at the office of the radical Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, the two Iraqis who claim to have been among those beaten said they would take legal action. Bassem Shaker, 27, said: "I was one of 250 unemployed people demonstrating in the street in 2004, but when we reached the governor's office we were surprised by the presence of the British forces. We started throwing stones at them because we believed that they were behind all our misery."
Riyadh Mahoud, the governor of Amara, said local authorities were helping the purported victims sue.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told