President Mahinda Rajapakse yesterday called for immediate talks with the Tamil Tiger rebels to halt spiraling violence threatening Sri Lanka's four-year-old cease fire and taking the tropical island again toward the brink of war.
But in an interview, Rajapakse also had a warning for anyone who might take his wish for peace as a sign that the government was unable to take on the Tigers.
"Don't take my patience as my weakness," Rajapakse said, one day before Norwegian peace broker Erik Solheim was to arrive to try to bring the two parties back to the negotiating table.
"Let us sit down together and talk and from there we can pick the thread up and carry on," Rajapakse said, who won the Nov. 17 presidential election on pledges that he would not divide this island of 19 million people along ethnic lines.
About two weeks after Rajapakse won the election, Vellupillai Prabhakaran, the reclusive rebel leader, announced that he would intensify the struggle for an independent homeland if the minority Tamils' grievances were not adequately addressed.
The rebels' Nov. 27 statement was followed by a sharp surge in violence, with suspected rebels attacking Sri Lankan security forces almost daily.
"Yes, 78 of our brave men have been killed by the LTTE," Rajapakse said of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam guerrilla force.
The rebels are considered a formidable military machine. They recruit boys as young as 13 and make members wear cyanide capsules around their necks so they can commit suicide if captured.
They run training camps and equip their 3,000-4,000 fighters, including women, with tiger-striped uniforms and sophisticated weaponry. They also have tens of thousands of sympathizers for their cause.
The rebels, who differ from the majority Sinhalese in language, culture and religion, have fought for almost two decades for an independent homeland in the northeast of Sri Lanka. The conflict has cost some 65,000 lives.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told