Aiming to leverage their huge natural gas reserves, left-leaning leaders across South America are in serious talks to build a network of pipelines stretching thousands of kilometers to feed growing demand and wean themselves from US economic influence.
But oil industry experts say their show of brotherhood may backfire if this expensive pipe dream becomes reality, since the network could turn the continent's neighbors against each other as they compete for clients.
In Brasilia on Thursday, the presidents of Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela discussed plans for an 8,000km pipeline from Caracas to Buenos Aires through Brazil's Amazon rain forest, complete with links to Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay.
"This pipeline is vital for us," Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said, stressing it would distance the region from the US-backed free market policies known as the Washington Consensus.
The pipeline, which would cost US$20 billion and could be built within five to seven years, "is the beginning of the South American consensus," Chavez said.
Silva and Kirchner did not speak to reporters after the leaders' five-hour meeting, but instructed their energy ministers to give priority to the project.
The leaders also agreed to meet in Argentina in March to review technical plans being prepared by the three nations' state-owned oil companies.
Venezuela and Bolivia have the first and second largest natural gas reserves in South America, an amount that Chavez said will last two centuries even with increased production in Brazil and Argentina, where demand is increasing for the fuel for power generation, cooking gas and cars.
But the pipeline could put Bolivia and Venezuela on an economic collision course, because Bolivia is already the biggest exporter of gas to Brazil and wants to increase exports to Argentina through another, much shorter, proposed pipeline.
By joining the much larger pipeline, Bolivia "would be tying their production prospects to whatever Chavez wants to dictate," said Andres Stepkowski, a Bolivia-based oil industry consultant.
Chavez said the nations don't want to compete, adding he believes there isn't "any fear in Bolivia, rather there's joy that this project is going to integrate us all, you wait and see."
In keeping with Chavez' socialist vision of reducing the US' "imperialist" political and economic influence, the larger pipeline would be built and operated jointly by Venezuela's state company, Petroleos de Venezuela SA and Brazil's state-owned petrol company, Petroleo Brasileiro SA.
Chavez said each country would pay a share of the construction cost though the exact amount will not be determined until the March summit in Argentina. However, he suggested that the nations would not pay the full bill and that outside investment would be needed.
Some Chinese companies have already expressed interest, Chavez said, and he predicted additional investment won't be hard to find. The project could pay for itself five to eight years after being completed, he said.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying