UN climate talks in Canada are likely to avoid setting a target date for agreeing on a successor for the UN's Kyoto Protocol, disappointing environmentalists who want a 2008 deadline, delegates said on Monday.
Backers of Kyoto -- such as the EU, Canada and Japan -- want to signal they are committed to agreeing on an extension of Kyoto's curbs on greenhouse gases blamed for global warming well before a first phase runs out in 2012.
But they are reluctant to promise any dates for completing negotiations. Businesses also want early clarification to guide long-term investments, for instance in solar or wind power.
PHOTO: AFP
"We think it will take several years," a senior Canadian official said of the process to renew Kyoto, which obliges about 40 industrial nation to cut emissions of greenhouse gases by 5.2 percent below 1990 levels by 2008-2012.
"The real target is to have a new phase in place by Jan. 1, 2013," said the official, who could not be named because of the current Canadian election campaign.
Kyoto is a first step toward reining in heat-trapping gases from burning fossil fuels in factories, power plants and autos blamed for warming the planet.
Canada hopes the Nov. 28 to Dec. 9 meeting will launch twin sets of talks -- one between Kyoto backers and a wider set to see how far outsiders such as the US and developing countries might join a UN-led fight against warming.
Environmentalists say agreement on a successor to Kyoto by 2008 is essential, partly to reassure investors in fledgling markets for trading carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, that their commodity will continue to have a price.
"Many of us are extremely worried by the position of the EU," said Tony Juniper of Friends of the Earth, who accused the EU of failing to do enough to push for a deadline. "The end date for talks should be set for 2008."
"We're negotiating," Sarah Hendry, head of the British delegation which holds the EU's rotating presidency, said when asked if the EU was pushing for a deadline.
She said the Montreal meeting had either to set an end date for the Kyoto talks or send a strong signal of intent to investors that Kyoto would be extended beyond 2012. One EU delegate said the EU seemed reluctant to commit to an early deadline partly because US President George W. Bush, who opposes Kyoto, will step down in 2009.
A new president might be more willing to join UN schemes to rein in global warming. Bush pulled the US out of Kyoto in 2001, saying it wrongly excluded developing nations and would cost US jobs.
Environmentalists also accused Japan of trying too hard to force developing countries to promise to brake their emissions as part of a final package. The talks are obliged to end with a push for new targets because the text of the protocol says that member states "shall initiate consideration of [new] commitments at least seven years before the end of the first commitment period." That means this year.
Signed by 34 governments, the protocol requires countries to cut gases that cause global warming. The protocol became fully operational last Wednesday after the UN Climate Change Conference adopted final rules by consensus.
EU ministers hope to pursue follow-up arrangements with signatory countries while also opening up sensitive talks with governments that rejected Kyoto, including major polluters such as the US.
The US, which emits 25 percent of the world's so-called greenhouse gases, made clear last week that it opposed any talk of extending Kyoto-style limits on their emission. Environmental activists criticized the EU approach, saying European states should not allow Washington to set the agenda.
The EU "appears to be working on the basis of a major strategic mistake" by moving to accommodate the US government, Jupiter said. The EU needed to be "taking the lead," he added.
US environmental groups that have been opposed to the Bush administration's stance presented the US consulate here on Saturday with 600,000 signatures on a petition seeking action on global warming, organizers said.
So-called greenhouse gases, notably carbon dioxide, which is generated by burning of fossil fuels like gas, oil and coal, enlarge an atmospheric layer that blocks radiant heat from escaping Earth into space.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying