An investigating magistrate began interrogating four pro-Syrian generals yesterday charged in the assassination of former prime minister Rafik Hariri, Justice Ministry officials said.
Lebanon's top prosecutor issued a preliminary criminal charge against the Lebanese generals late on Thursday, just hours after they were accused by a top UN investigator of allegedly playing a role in planning the Feb. 14 bombing that killed Hariri and 20 others.
Prosecutor-General Said Mirza referred the four suspects to investigating magistrate Elias Eid for interrogation, after which their fate will be decided. They could either be released, remain in custody or face arrest warrants.
Brigadier General Mustafa Hamdan, commander of the Presidential Guards Brigade, was the first interrogated yesterday after being brought from detention at police headquarters to the nearby Justice Ministry.
The other suspects are: Major General Jamil Sayyed, the former chief of General Security; Major General Ali Hajj, the former director general of the Internal Security Forces; and Brigadier General Raymond Azar, the former director general of military intelligence.
The three stepped down in April amid intense public criticism over their handling of the murder probe and claims of Syrian involvement in the killing.
The suspects led Lebanon's security services at the time Hariri was killed, held close ties with Lebanon's longtime powerbroker, Syria, and have been detained for questioning since Tuesday.
Hariri's son and political successor praised the UN investigation, particularly the declaration that the four generals were allegedly involved in his father's killing.
"It seems that the results achieved by the international investigation constitute essential steps towards uncovering the truth and the pursuit of justice," Saad Hariri said in a statement issued in Paris late on Thursday.
UN chief investigator Detlev Mehlis said on Thursday that more people were involved in Hariri's assassination, but that no Syrian suspects had been identified yet. He said his 10-week investigation was, however, encountering "problems" in getting Syria to cooperate.
Syria had its army in Lebanon at the time of Hariri's death and controlled political and security affairs there for most of the last 29 years. Many Lebanese blamed Syria for Hariri's killing, which sparked anti-Syrian protests and intensified international pressure on Damascus to withdraw its army, a move completed in April. Since then, anti-Syrian groups led by Saad Hariri have swept to power in parliamentary elections.
Syria and its then-allied Lebanese government have denied involvement in Hariri's murder.
The slain premier's son urged all parties to cooperate with the investigation: "I repeat my demands that all factions, inside Lebanon or outside it, fully cooperate with the international probe."
While details of the investigation have been secret, local and Arab press have carried reports of alleged involvement of the generals in planning the attack and its subsequent cover-up.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
‘CHAPITOS’: An ex-DEA agent said the sons of the former cartel head are engaged in a battle for control, with the health of the man temporarily in charge a factor The fight for control of drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s legacy spilled into the open on Thursday after a gun battle between rival Mexican gangs left 16 dead, authorities said. The 16 men, heavily armed and wearing bulletproof vests, died in a six-hour running shootout near the rural town of Tepuche in northwestern Sinaloa province. “A van with seven bodies was located” after an initial clash, while nine bodies were discovered following a second exchange, Sinaloa Minister of Security Cristobal Castaneda told reporters. Castaneda said that Wednesday’s clash near Tepuche, 25km from the capital of Sinaloa, Culiacan, was “part of a struggle