An Israeli soldier and a Palestinian militant were killed in a shootout early yesterday when Israeli troops raided a village near the northern West Bank town of Tulkarm hunting for militants, the army said.
The shootout came amid a marked increase in tension between the two sides in recent weeks, despite a three-month-old truce agreement that both sides hoped would signal the end of the four-and-a-half years of violence.
Residents of the Palestinian village of Sida said that Israeli troops had entered before dawn and imposed a curfew while they searched for suspects before withdrawing to the surrounding hills.
PHOTO: EPA
Sida was one of several villages Palestinian authorities wanted Israel to withdraw from when it handed over nearby Tulkarm to the Palestinian security forces in March.
Israel refused, saying that the villages were full of militants, including those who were behind a February suicide bombing in Tel Aviv that killed five Israelis.
Palestinians identified the dead man as Shafiq Abdel Hamad, an Islamic Jihad militant who had been on the run since escaping from Palestinian police custody several weeks ago.
On Sunday, Israeli troops briefly entered Tulkarm itself, arresting a man they said was an Islamic Jihad militant preparing to carry out an imminent suicide bombing.
Senior Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said the latest Israeli operations jeopardized the truce, which has slashed the number of deaths and injuries on both sides.
"The ceasefire can't be held by one side," Erekat said. "The continuation of Israeli incursions, assassinations and arrests is seriously threatening the ... understandings."
Violence has slowly increased in recent weeks, though it is still far lower than it was during the height of the fighting over the past four-and-a-half years.
Israelis have carried out several arrest raids, and Palestinian militants have fired salvos of mortar shells and rockets into Gaza Strip settlements.
Israel pledged to turn over five West Bank towns to Palestinian security control as part of the Feb. 8 ceasefire agreement, but only Tulkarm and Jericho have been transferred.
The Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said last week that he was putting further handovers on hold until the Palestinian Authority disarmed militants in the two towns that they already control.
Israel has demanded Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas crack down on militant groups to prevent attacks on Israel. Abbas has said he preferred to use persuasion to maintain calm.
However, Abbas took a firmer tone last week, warning militants that he would use force against anyone who violated the truce.
His comments appeared aimed at the militants firing mortar and rocket barrages at Gaza settlements in recent weeks in an effort to make it appear that they are pushing Israel out of the volatile coastal strip.
Israel plans to pull out of Gaza and four West Bank settlements this summer.
Israeli military planners said recently they are proposing that the abandoned West Bank homes be turned over to Palestinian security forces for use as barracks, although the area to be vacated will remain under overall Israeli military control, security officials said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told