A reassessment by the CIA has cast doubt on a central piece of evidence used by the administration of George W. Bush before the invasion of Iraq to draw links between former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein's government and al-Qaeda's terrorist network, government officials said Tuesday.
The CIA report, sent to policy-makers in August, says it is now not clear whether Saddam's government harbored members of a group led by the Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the officials said. The assertion that Iraq provided refuge to Zarqawi was the primary basis for the administration's prewar assertions connecting Iraq to al-Qaeda.
The new CIA assessment, based largely on information gathered after the US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003, is the latest to revise a prewar intelligence report used by the administration as a central rationale for war.
In June of this year, Bush described Zarqawi as "the best evidence of connection to al-Qaeda affiliates and al-Qaeda." But while Zarqawi was once thought to be closely linked to al-Qaeda, his affiliations are now less certain.
Some US and European officials have said there is no clear coordination between Zarqawi and al-Qaeda, though their aims are similar. In the meantime, Zarqawi has emerged as an architect of repeated car bomb attacks and as the most active and deadly foreign terrorist operating in Iraq as part of the anti-US insurgency.
The CIA's new assessment states that it could not be conclusive even about his relationship with Saddam's government. The CIA review, first reported by Knight-Ridder newspapers, did not say on what basis the earlier assessment was being softened, and government officials declined to explain on Tuesday.
A CIA spokesman declined to comment about any new intelligence assessment. The government officials who outlined its findings represented several different agencies, but all were guarded in discussing it, saying they did not want to add to tensions between the CIA and the White House.
One official said the new report "doesn't make clear-cut assertions one way or another" about whether Iraq harbored Zarqawi. But officials said it had established beyond doubt that Zarqawi spent time in Baghdad in 2002, that from there he ordered the assassination of a US diplomat in Jordan and that he was in contact with members of the insurgent group Ansar al-Islam.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told