A bomb killed a senior member of Lebanese guerrilla group Hezbollah in the southern suburbs of Beirut yesterday in an attack the group blamed on Israel.
Witnesses said the wreckage of a Mercedes car lay in the road, its glass shattered. Blood stained the road beside it.
In a statement, Hezbollah said the blast killed Ghalib Awali -- who it called "part of the Islamic Resistance's cadre" -- as he left his home. Hezbollah's TV station, which interrupted programming to announce the blast, called him a member of the group's leadership.
PHOTO: AP
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast.
A Hezbollah official, which played a leading role in helping to end Israel's 22-year occupation of south Lebanon in 2000, pointed the finger at the Jewish state and hinted at retribution.
"It is an attempt to destabilize the resistance and Lebanon, and we see in it the hand of the Zionist enemy," Sheikh Hassan Ezzeddine said. "The enemy bears complete responsibility for what it has done."
Israel assassinated the group's leader Abbas al-Mussawi in 1992 in an air strike on his car, and Lebanon has tried and convicted several people in recent years of spying on and plotting against the Iranian and Syrian-backed group.
There was no immediate comment from Israel, which in recent months has stepped up its rhetoric against Hezbollah, calling the group a major backer of Palestinian militants in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
The blast recalled the killings of two Lebanese whom Israel accused of links to Hezbollah and al-Qaeda. Locals blamed those killings on Israel's Mossad, a charge the Jewish state neither confirmed nor denied.
A car bomb last year in the same part of Beirut killed a Hezbollah member whom security sources and witnesses had identified as an employee of the Iranian embassy in the Lebanese capital.
Since helping drive Israel from south Lebanon, Hezbollah brokered a swap of the remains of Israeli soldiers it captured in a disputed border zone and a reservist it abducted for Lebanese captives in Israel, including senior Hezbollah figures.
The group has vowed to secure the release of Samir al-Qantar, a Lebanese held over the killing of four Israelis in 1979, for which Israel demands information about the fate of Ron Arad, an Israeli airman who went missing while bombing Lebanon in 1986.
Hezbollah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah has said the group would kidnap more Israelis if Qantar was not released.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told