Four Iraqis, including two alleged members of a gang, were killed yesterday in different incidents, while insurgents again targeted a gas pipeline near the northern oil city of Kirkuk.
There was no word on the fate of two Bulgarian truck drivers and a Filipino truck driver kidnapped by insurgents earlier in the week and threatened with beheading. The deadline set by the insurgents was yesterday.
Officials in the Philippines said the country's small peacekeeping contingent in Iraq will be withdrawn when its current stint ends Aug. 20.
PHOTO: REUTERS
The withdrawal announcement appeared to be deliberately ambiguous, representing the fine line that the Philippines is walking to obtain its hostage's release while remaining one of Washington's closest supporters of the global war on terrorism.
In the ethnic tinderbox of Kirkuk, unknown assailants opened fire at about 9:00am at the offices of the predominantly Arab Union of Farming Cooperatives killing a guard, according to Iraqi police Major Burhan Taib. A movie theater, owned by a Turkmen businessman, was burnt to the ground in an attack by unknown individuals at about 4am, said police Colonel Adel Ibrahim.
Kirkuk has seen tension and violence among it's Arab, Kurd, Turkmen and Christian population.
A pipeline connecting the city's gas fields with the Beiji power plants to the west was attacked with an improvised explosive device at about 6:30am, setting a section of less than a meter on fire, according to Ahmed al-Hassan, head of security at the Northern Gas Co. He said the pipeline was shut as the fire was being put out.
The attack comes five days after another pipeline in the gas network connecting power plants and a gas canister factory north of Baghdad was sabotaged.
Meanwhile, in the Sunni-stronghold of Ramadi, west of Baghdad, US Marines said they shot dead two memebers of an armed gang who attacked them yesterday, while a hospital official reported that five Iraqis had been wounded.
"There was a clash at approximately 6:15am today near a taxi stop in Ramadi between US Marines and approximately seven enemy fighters dressed in black," said a Marine spokesman.
"Those seven fired on the Marines from the taxi stop. The Marines returned fire, killing two of the attackers and seized the vehicle they used, which had a machine gun mounted on the back," he said.
Meanwhile, two young brothers killed in a mortar attack in central Baghdad late Friday were mourned by their family. The parents of Rami, four, and Sami Saad, six, sobbed and screamed as the boys' wooden coffins were laid out at the Holy Family Chaldean church in the Karrada neighborhood. Tearful children held up photographs of the boys, who were playing in front of their home when mortar rounds struck the nearby Sadeer Hotel.
In Manila, a spokesman for President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo announced with pullout of the 51-strong contingent in Iraq.
"Our humanitarian contingent is scheduled to return on Aug. 20," spokesman Ignacio Bunye said. "Our future actions shall be guided by the UN Security Council decision as embodied in Resolution 1546, which defines the role of the UN and its member states in the future of Iraq."
Resolution 1546 specifies that Iraq can request "the continued presence of the multinational force and setting out its tasks."
The decision was announced just moments before Arab television station al Jazeera showed a video of Angelo dela Cruz appealing to President Arroyo to give in to his captors' demand.
While the withdrawal is a blow for the international coalition in Iraq, it affects only 51 peacekeepers and made no mention of any further action on the 4,000 or so Filipino contract workers there who are much more crucial to Washington and would be difficult to replace.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told