Rejecting the demands of Hong Kong people who staged a massive pro-democracy march, China said yesterday it will stick by its earlier decision ruling out the direct election of the territory's next leader.
A key mainland official in Hong Kong said China's top legislative panel had made its position clear when it said in April that Hong Kong people cannot democratically choose the successor to Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa in 2007 or all lawmakers in 2008.
Hong Kong people staged a massive, peaceful pro-democracy march on Thursday, with many holding out hopes that Beijing would change its mind and move more swiftly on political reforms. Organizers said 530,000 people turned out, while police put the figure at 200,000.
But a mainland official told reporters yesterday that Beijing won't bend to the "irrational" wishes of the demonstrators.
"The National People's Congress had made a final decision," said Li Gang, deputy head of Beijing's liaison office in Hong Kong. "As the top judicial authority, its decisions cannot be changed, so to try to attempt something that's impossible is irrational."
Former British colony Hong Kong has enjoyed Western-style civil liberties since its handover to Chinese rule in 1997, but only limited democracy.
Tung was picked by an 800-member committee loyal to Beijing. Voters will choose 30 of 60 lawmakers in September elections, with the remaining seats to be filled by special interest groups such as business executives, doctors and bankers.
Beijing and the Hong Kong government are worried that the pro-democracy sentiment sweeping through the territory will spell bad news for Tung's legislative allies.
They fear they could end up with a Legislative Council that won't back Tung.
The pro-democracy march came on the anniversary of a rally by 500,000 Hong Kong people angered by Tung's plans last year to pass an anti-subversion bill that many viewed as a threat to freedoms.
Stunned by the turnout, Tung withdrew the measure, and locals then began setting their sights on full democracy.
Hong Kong's mini-constitution, the Basic Law, sets out universal suffrage as an eventual goal, but there is no timetable specified.
In an effort at conciliation, Tung plans to meet soon with pro-democracy lawmakers.
Opposition legislator Emily Lau said yesterday that the pro-democracy camp will ask Tung to lobby China for quicker political reforms.
Following Thursday's march, Tung said he understood people's aspirations, but insisted any reforms must be "gradual and orderly" and go along with China's ruling.
Lau charged that Tung has not given an adequate response to the people's will.
"Tung didn't hear the citizens' views at all," she said. "He has let our citizens down."
Another pro-democracy legislator, James To, expressed doubts about whether Tung has much clout with Beijing.
"Tung carries very little weight on this matter," To said. "He's pretty much a puppet."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told