Three Hong Kong residents allegedly implicated in a grisly body-in-cement case in Hong Kong last month were deported from Taiwan yesterday afternoon, the Criminal Investigation Bureau announced.
The three, including the main suspect, a 26-year-old man surnamed Tsang (曾), were in handcuffs when they arrived at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport under a police escort at 1:15pm.
They kept their heads down and did not answer any questions from waiting reporters.
The police handed them over to Hong Kong officials who were waiting on the jet bridge to a Cathay Airways plane and the group boarded the plane at 3:20pm.
The bureau said the trio entered Taiwan on tourist visas along with an 18-year-old woman, surnamed Ho (何), on March 11.
Ho turned herself in to Taipei City Police Department’s Wenshan Second Precinct on Sunday night, saying she feared for her life and wanted to return to Hong Kong to help with the investigation.
She told police where the trio could be found and the men were picked up in New Taipei City’s Banciao District (板橋) on Monday, while Ho returned to Hong Kong the same day.
The trio were said to have only NT$4,300 with them when they were detained.
The bureau said the men had told police that they hid in Taipei’s Songshan (松山) and Wanhua (萬華) districts and, planning to stay for a while, had rented an apartment through a friend.
After the police said the trio’s presence posed a public safety risk, the National Immigration Agency revoked their entry permits and expelled them.
Hong Kong was shocked after police investigating a missing persons case on March 29 found a badly decomposed body inside a cement-filled box in an apartment in the Tsuen Wan District.
The victim, 28-year-old Cheung Man-li (張萬里), was last seen entering the building on March 4. His girlfriend reported him missing two days later.
Hong Kong media reported that Tsang and other suspects in the case had fled to Taiwan.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has