Next Media’s (壹傳媒) plan to venture into the TV industry in Taiwan yesterday suffered a major setback after the National Communications Commission (NCC) again rejected its applications to establish news, information and entertainment channels.
NCC Spokesperson Chen Jeng-chang (陳正倉) said the commission continued to have doubts on Next TV’s plans to present animated news as well as how it would protect the interests of youth in its news content.
“The commission listed four main reasons why it turned down [Next TV’s] applications last year,” Chen said. “While it has made some improvements, its efforts failed to convince members of the independent committee who reviewed the applications that it would do anything different from what they can see in the [Chinese-language] Apple Daily and Next Magazine.”
Chen said the committee opposed the applications because the network had failed to address two of the four main issues.
For one, the network’s animated news presented events in a “docudrama” format, which does not meet professional standards of journalism and truthful reporting.
Also, its guidelines for animated news production contravened Article 13 of the Regulations Governing the Classification of Television Programs (電視節目分級處理辦法), which states that “images in news broadcasting programs shall be subject to classified G [General rating] regulations, without classification labeling.”
Aside from the two main issues, Chen said the programs the network intended to present on its three channels were more or less the same, which spawned questions about the necessity of having three channels.
Chen said the committee’s decision was submitted to the commissioners’ meeting yesterday where it won unanimous support from commissioners, who deliberated the case for about an hour before making a final decision.
Chu Wen-bin (朱文彬), chief of the commission’s satellite communication division, said members of the committee reviewed sample tapes and operational plans for the three channels submitted by Next Media. As Next Television launched its TV service online in July, commission officials recorded content and handed it to committee members for reference.
Chu said Next’s news production guidelines showed that the network “completely misunderstood” the Regulations Governing the Classification of Television Programs.
“It [Next TV] said it would not explicitly present the sexual organs of people appearing in Next programs,” Chu said. “However, not showing sexual organs does not mean the news has a General rating.”
“[Next] also said it would be careful when handling live news broadcasts involving violence, sexual assault and suicides. However, these types of news should not be aired live in the first place,” Chu said.
Next TV chairman Chu Wai-hui (朱華煦) said the company protested against the commission for “undermining freedom of expression and stifling creativity.”
“Why does the NCC keep rejecting our applications?” Chu asked in a statement. “The NCC owes us an explanation.”
Meanwhile, the commission also rejected applications by China Television Co (CTV) for four new channels, saying they violated the Television and Broadcasting Act (廣電法), which bars investment from political parties, the government and the military.
The investigation showed that the Taipei City Government indirectly owns 0.2175 percent of the shares in the CTV’s Cultural Enterprise Co, which owns four channels.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a