US president-elect Barack Obama vowed to observe Geneva Conventions bans on torture and outlawed the tweaking of intelligence data for political gain, naming new US spy chiefs in a clean break from the Bush years.
Completing the top ranks of his national security team, Obama named retired admiral Dennis Blair as director of national intelligence and veteran Washington player Leon Panetta to head the Central Intelligence Agency.
“We know that to be truly secure, we must adhere to our values as vigilantly as we protect our safety — with no exceptions,” Obama said on Friday, 12 days before he is sworn in as president.
The president-elect also appointed veteran intelligence operative John Brennan as his chief counterterrorism adviser inside the White House.
Brennan had been a candidate for another top intelligence job, but faced criticism from human rights groups over his stand on some “war on terror” tactics like forced renditions and tough interrogation practices.
Obama said the national security crises and controversies during US President George W. Bush’s administration had delivered “tough lessons” in a clear reference to Iraq and the debate about how to treat “war on terror” suspects.
“We have learned that to make pragmatic policy choices, we must insist on assessments grounded solely in the facts, and not seek information to suit any ideological agenda,” Obama said at a press conference.
Critics accused the Bush administration of cherry picking intelligence about former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein’s alleged weapons of mass destruction programs to make the case for war in Iraq.
The president-elect declared that the US would also observe the Geneva Conventions on the treatment of terror suspects, after the Supreme Court effectively forced the Bush administration to do so.
“I was clear throughout this campaign and have been clear throughout this transition that under my administration, the United States does not torture,” he said. “We will abide by the Geneva Conventions [and] we will uphold our highest values and ideals.”
Blair will have to juggle a number of ticking national security time bombs including the Iranian nuclear showdown, North Korea’s weapons programs and the anti-terror operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
He inherits an intelligence community of 16 fractious agencies still in the throes of reform following monumental failings during Bush’s first term and ahead of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
There is also fallout from the Bush era’s warrantless wiretapping, secret prisons and harsh interrogation programs.
Panetta, who will work under Blair, was former president Bill Clinton’s chief of staff from 1994 to 1997, after 16 years as California lawmaker.
But his nomination raised eyebrows on Capitol Hill as he has little experience in the complex world of spying.
“I will work tirelessly to defend this nation and to provide you, Mr President-elect, with the most accurate and objective intelligence that you need to lead this nation at a time of great peril,” Panetta said.
He takes over from Michael Hayden at the head of an agency which has been sharply criticized for practices such as harsh interrogations, telephone tapping without warrants and secret renditions of “war on terror” suspects.
Hayden offered Panetta a warm welcome, and said it was apparent he was eager to immerse himself in the “details of intelligence and espionage” and had a reputation for “insight, wisdom, and decency.”
A former commander of US forces in the Pacific from 1999 to 2002, Blair will be only the third director of national intelligence.
The position was created by Congress in 2004 after investigations revealed that turf-sensitive intelligence agencies failed to share information that might have averted the Sept. 11 attacks. That failure was followed by US intelligence’s fateful error on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction.
Blair told Obama his intelligence services would provide “facts, interpretations, assessments in a straightforward manner.”
“We will tell you how well we know what we know and what we don’t know,” he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told