Minister of Education Cheng Jei-cheng (鄭瑞城) said at the legislature yesterday that the schedule for the government’s proposal to recognize Chinese educational credentials was still under discussion after many legislators questioned him about the issue.
As for the issue of allowing Chinese students to enroll in Taiwanese universities, Cheng said there would be a cap on the number of Chinese students allowed to enroll in domestic universities and that individual universities would also have a cap.
He said those universities interested in recruiting Chinese students should establish a committee to handle the matter while the ministry would establish the necessary regulations.
PHOTO: WANG MIN-WEI, TAIPEI TIMES
TIMING
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) said that Cheng had mentioned that it would take about two to three years before Chinese diplomas could be recognized by the government.
Chen said he wondered why President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said the proposal would be carried out next year.
In response, Cheng said that the ministry was still deliberating over the time schedule for the proposal but that it might be completed earlier than expected.
However, he said that the bonus point scheme would not apply to Chinese students who wished to come to Taiwan to study and that the ministry would not offer scholarships to them.
Meanwhile, Cheng said that if everything went as planned, it was expected that national and private universities would be allowed to open extension education programs in China in the next academic year to recruit Chinese students as well as the children of Taiwanese businesspeople based in China.
VERIFICATION
In response to questions by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Diane Lee (李慶安) about how to verify Chinese educational credentials proposed, Cheng said that given the fact that there are numerous high schools in China, it would be hard for the government to verify them all.
Thus a student’s academic performance, including national exams, would be used as the main criteria, Cheng said.
KMT Legislator Hung Hsiu-chu (洪秀柱) said that some had suggested that Taiwanese businesspeople offer scholarships to encourage Chinese students to study in Taiwan as part of their core staffer recruitment program.
Hung said that the government should consider this proposal because Chinese students would become accustomed to Taiwanese ways of thinking and better understand Taiwanese culture after studying here.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not