Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lee Chuan-chiao (李全教) should apologize within three days for making false accusations against President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍), otherwise, he will face a slander suit, a Presidential Office spokesman said yesterday.
The Presidential Office issued the statement after the lawmaker earlier yesterday alleged that the president was also involved in Chen Che-nan's (陳哲男) embezzlement and bribery case.
Chen Che-nan, the former deputy secretary-general of the Presidential Office, was detained late on Friday night on charges of fraud and corruption.
Chen Che-nan told prosecutors that he had "accepted money" from convicted embezzler Liang Po-hsun (梁柏薰), the former chairman of the Hsinchiehchung Construction Co.
Prosecutors allege that Chen Che-nan accepted a total of NT$7.11 million (US$222,188) from Liang as Chen Che-nan had failed to explain where the money had come from.
Lee Chuan-chiao held a press conference at the legislature yesterday morning claiming that Liang told him in person how he had prepared NT$1 million in cash and then asked Chen Che-nan to forward the money to the president as a political donation.
Lee's allegations were supported by Liang's special aide Hsieh Wen-chang (謝文章), who was also present at the press conference.
The KMT lawmaker, who is also seeking the party's nomination to run as the KMT candidate in Kaohsiung's year-end mayoral election, alleged that Liang made the "donation" in the hope that he would not be indicted.
First lady Wu had also accepted Sogo Department Store gift coupons as a token of appreciation and had spent several thousand dollars, Lee Chuan-chiao added.
"I would urge the president to remind himself of what happened to Chen Che-nan," the lawmaker said. "I think he is responsible for this anyway, since Chen Che-nan used to be his favorite, and now he is involved in this scandal."
David Lee (李南陽), director of the Presidential Office's Public Affairs Department, yesterday said Lee Chuan-chiao should come up with evidence to support his allegations.
"Otherwise, his accusations are just speculation and his irresponsible actions have seriously smeared the reputation of the head of state," Lee said, adding that the lawmaker's unfounded accusations should be sternly condemned.
David Lee said the president had never accepted any political contributions from Liang and that the Presidential Office had no knowledge about whether Chen Che-nan had ever accepted any bribes from Liang.
David Lee added that Wu had never spent such a sum of money at that department store. Since every coupon has a serial number, he said, it would be easy to check whether the lawmaker's accusation was true.
Moreover, the wheelchair-bound first lady had always been accompanied by a large crowd of security officers and nurses on each of her shopping outings, he added.
"There are no secrets about the first lady's shopping activities," he added.
KMT Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday urged the prosecutors to continue in their efforts to reveal the truth and resist political pressure.
"Such corruption cases need to be investigated without any gray areas, and [the prosecutors] have to fight against political pressure. Otherwise the whole country will suffer," Ma said, adding that he respected any decision made by the prosecutors and courts, but expected them to spare no effort.
Additional reporting by Mo Yan-chih
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not