Authorities are urging foreign English teachers to be aware of the terms before they sign contracts with cram schools (also known as bushibans) after a recent contract dispute between a teacher and a school in Tainan County.
In April of this year, Susan Tombs, a Briton working as an English teacher in Tainan County signed a one-year contract with a bushiban. The school's contract contained a clause which imposed a NT$20,000 fine if the teacher did not complete the contract. Early last month, Tombs quit her job after the school reduced her hours, and also because she was not satisfied with the working conditions at the school. On July 1, Tombs was told by her employer that she would be penalized NT$20,000 for breaching the contract. After digging up information about Taiwan's labor laws, Tombs discovered that Article 26 of the Labor Standards Act (勞基法) states that an employer shall not take any advance deduction of wages for punitive damages.
Tombs then approached Tainan County Government's Bureau of Labor, where she was told an arbitration court hearing could be set up through the bureau free of charge.
"I have talked to both Tombs and her employer regarding their dispute. The contract did state that should Tombs not fulfill one year of service at the school, she would have to pay a fine of NT$20,000," Chang Li-huei (
"If [Tombs] wants to dispute the terms of the contract, she can go through an arbitration hearing with the bureau. I gave Tombs the relevant paperwork, but I have not seen the papers since," she said.
Tombs said that she would pursue arbitration, but hopes her visa, which expires in two weeks, would last till the arbitration.
"I have decided to go ahead with the arbitration hearing but do not know if my visa deadline will allow me to attend," she said.
"I do not know how to go about applying for arbitration since all documents are in Chinese," Tombs added.
According to a staff member at the school, Tombs has been told that she could pick up her check at any time, but the NT$20,000 fine will be deducted.
"It was Tombs' decision to sign the contract, which included the clause regarding the penalty. We are willing to give Tombs her check -- minus the NT$20,000 penalty -- but she refuses to take it," the staff member said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not