Beijing has established a government agency charged with disseminating disinformation in Taiwan for the purposes of influencing public morale and causing rifts within society, a source at a national security agency has said.
The confirmation came after President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) Double Ten National Day speech in which she described the need for alertness in the face of widespread disinformation.
China’s use of “fake” news has also been recognized by Japanese media, including the Sankei Shimbun, the Yomiuri Shimbun and the Asahi Shimbun.
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
The newspapers all described as fake news Chinese reports of buses dispatched by the Chinese consulate in Osaka to pick up passengers stranded at Kansai International Airport following Typhoon Jebi early last month.
Following the reports it was discovered that a post on Professional Technology Temple (PTT) — the nation’s largest online bulletin board — allegedly from a disgruntled Taiwanese passenger was actually posted by a Chinese user after the IP address was traced to Beijing.
The post was attributed to a Chinese government task force responsible for destabilizing the Tsai administration by spreading disinformation on everyday issues through social media and other online platforms, the source said.
The Chinese government provides financial rewards for any fake news posts picked up by Taiwanese media, the source said.
Tsai has expressed interest in collaborating with foreign governments to establish a mechanism for tracking and responding to the threat from fake news, the source said, adding that the president’s raising of the issue in her national day speech was evidence of the seriousness of the matter.
The prevalence of social media platforms has exacerbated the spread of misinformation and created even more divisions within Taiwanese society, which was already divided by pan-blue and pan-green partisanship, the source said.
One post on PTT in May, shortly after the severing of diplomatic ties between Taiwan and Burkina Faso, had claimed that Honduras was in talks with Beijing and would also sever ties with the nation.
The post, which caused uproar on social media, was later traced to a Chinese disinformation mill apparently being sponsored by the Chinese government, the source said.
Addressing the threat of systematic dissemination of disinformation from a single source nation demands immediate action, international cooperation and assistance from the public, the source said.
Having information audited by a third party that would inform the public of false information is one possible solution, while another is to have a government agency monitor online information and respond to it through legal systems and institutions, the source said.
‘TRUSTED PARTNER’: The company said that it is ‘committed to help bring an end to the pandemic,’ while the health minister denied it was a ‘chips for vaccines’ deal BioNTech on Wednesday said that it plans to provide its COVID-19 vaccine to Taiwan after Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) announced that in December last year the German company at the last minute halted a deal for the nation to to buy 5 million doses. Earlier on Wednesday, Chen said that officials were on the verge of announcing the deal when BioNTech pulled the plug, although he added that it was still pending and had not been torn up. While he did not say that China was to blame, Chen implied there was a political dimension to the decision. “BioNTech
SPY GAMES: For more than 20 years, intelligence officers traveled to China, where they identified other MIB personnel and allegedly traded secrets for money and gifts The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday indicted four retired Military Intelligence Bureau (MIB) officials, who are accused of providing China with a list of bureau personnel and other classified materials while attempting to recruit colleagues into a spy network in Taiwan. Prosecutors charged Chang Chao-jan (張超然), Chou Tien-tzu (周天慈) and Wang Ta-wang (王大旺), former colonels at the bureau, and Yueh Chih-chung (岳志忠) — a former major general and chief of the MIB’s Fifth Bureau, where he was in charge of sending agents to China on covert assignments — with breaches of the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the National Intelligence Services
CONTINUED VIGILANCE: People would still be required to wear masks at eight types of public spaces and border controls would continue, Chen Shih-chung told reporters The government’s autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to continue beyond Sunday, but eating and drinking on high-speed trains would be allowed from Monday, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while there were no new confirmed cases in Taiwan yesterday, the global COVID-19 situation remains serious, so the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program would be extended beyond its Sunday deadline. “Border control measures, including requiring a negative polymerase chain reaction test result obtained within three days of boarding a plane to Taiwan, and undergoing quarantine in a
MORE RISK? Three Taiwanese family members were found to have the Brazilian variant, which CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo said might be more infectious From Wednesday, all travelers who have been in Brazil in the past 14 days are required to be quarantined at a centralized facility after arriving in Taiwan and undergo a COVID-19 test upon ending quarantine, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that starting from 12am on Wednesday, all travelers arriving from Brazil, including those who have transited through the country in the past 14 days, would have to stay at a centralized quarantine facility. “They will be tested for COVID-19 upon completing the 14-day quarantine, and they