Charges will probably not be pressed against high-school students who entered the Ministry of Education building on Thursday last week, Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) said yesterday.
“For students who are still in high school, we hope not to press charges, while students older than 18 who are willing to acknowledge their actions were ‘disorderly’ will also be taken care of through through nonlegal means,” he said.
He said that not pressing charges was the ministry’s “objective,” but that the ministry hopes the public supports the idea that people should express their points of view only by “reasonable” means.
The ministry has ordered the removal of the barricades across the ministry’s main gate to demonstrate its willingness to communicate with students, he added.
Before yesterday morning protesters in the ministry courtyard had to snake through an extended path between razor wire obstacles to enter and exit the ministry gates.
Wu said that because textbooks for the upcoming year had already been selected by schools and published, it was already too late to withdraw the guidelines, adding that there was nothing wrong with their content or approval process.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
Thirty-three people — including 24 students and three reporters — were arrested at about 1am on Thursday last week for entering the Ministry of Education complex. Among those arrested, 11 are minors.
The ministry had previously said it would press charges for trespassing and damage to public property against anyone actively involved in the incident.
In response to Wu’s statement, Taichung First Senior High School student activist Liao Chung-lun (廖崇倫) said pressing charges against any students would be irrational and unwise, adding that the ministry was attempting to divide students with its offer.
“We think it is strange the ministry would make a distinction between students above and below 18,” he said, calling on the ministry to drop charges rather than playing “word games.”
Wu’s statement that the ministry had not yet filed charges against the students was met with incredulity some of the protesters.
“If the ministry really hasn’t filed charges, why was I bound and sent to juvenile court,” National Chang-hua Senior High School student Hsiao Chu-chun (蕭竹均) said adding that police had told students they were arrested because the ministry had filed charges.
Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) called on Wu to explain the inconsistency.
“If the ministry had not insisted on pressing charges, why would the police have arrested the reporters and students?” he said.
According to Ministry of Education Secretary-General Wang Chun-chuan (王俊權), after the ministry reported the incident to the police, police officers treated the students according to their standard operating procedure for criminals caught “red-handed,” including taking down statements which would serve as the principal evidence if the ministry chose to press charges. The public prosecutor would halt the investigation process if the ministry chose not to press charges, he said.
In related news, service to the ministry’s Web site was interrupted repeatedly yesterday.
Lee Tsai-yan (李蔡彥) the head of the ministry’s technology department, said that an “abnormal volume” of requests interrupted service to the ministry’s Web site throughout Friday night. After service was restored early yesterday morning, a second wave of attacks cut off service yesterday afternoon, he said. The Web site remained unavailable into the evening.
Meanwhile, in response to media queries on whether she thinks Wu should resign, Democratic Progressive Party Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said it is the KMT’s decision.
“There are people calling on Wu to step down, and resigning would certainly be one way to take responsibility,” she said. “It is up to Wu and the government to decide what is the best way to shoulder the responsibility, but their decision whatever they decision they make will be scrutinized by the public.”
Additional reporting by Loa Iok-sin
‘NO EQUILIBRIUM’: Taiwan’s increased defense spending is a good step, but it needs to do more to have the ability to deter aggression from China, a senior US official said The US plans to sell as many as seven major weapons systems — including mines, cruise missiles and drones — to Taiwan, four people familiar with the discussions said. Pursuing seven sales at once is a rare departure from years of precedent in which US military sales to Taiwan were spaced out and carefully calibrated to minimize tensions with Beijing. However, US President Donald Trump’s administration has this year become more aggressive with China, and the sales would land as relations between Beijing and Washington are at their lowest point in decades over accusations of spying, lingering trade tensions, disputes about the
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS: Several of the PLA fighter jets that crossed the median line of the Strait came within 68km of Hsinchu, drawing warnings from Taiwan, the ministry said At least 18 Chinese military aircraft yesterday flew into the nation’s air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on the second day of a US delegation’s visit, the Ministry of National Defense said, adding that the military responded by deploying an air defense missile system to monitor their activities. A delegation led by US Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy and the Environment Keith Krach on Thursday started a three-day visit to Taiwan. The ministry from Thursday started publicizing the actions of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) in Taiwan’s ADIZ on its Web site and Twitter. According to ministry reports, 18 PLA aircraft
WORKING OVERTIME? NTU professor Lee Duu-jong denied that he had held a part-time position at a Chinese university or joined China’s Thousand Talents Program A candidate for the post of National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (NTUST) president yesterday dropped out of the race following a report questioning his links to Chinese academia and government programs. Lee Duu-jong (李篤中), a professor at National Taiwan University’s (NTU) chemical engineering department, was a member of China’s Changjiang Scholars’ Program in 2006 and was on the list of its Thousand Talents Program in 2017, a report by Chinese-language Mirror Media magazine said yesterday. The article said that Lee is suspected of having held a part-time job at the Harbin Institute of Technology in China and was the recipient
A Taiwanese bird protection group yesterday said that it has been kicked out of BirdLife International — a global conservation partnership — after it refused to sign a statement saying it would never advocate independence. The Taipei-based Chinese Wild Bird Federation said that BirdLife International last week voted to remove it, ending a partnership that had been in place since 1996. Over the past 20 years, the federation has changed its English name three times to satisfy BirdLife International, and recently the international group demanded that it change its Chinese name and sign a statement that it is “formally committing to not